Old school or New school

Talk about anything in here.
ashwood

Old school or New school

Post by ashwood »

So i was thinking about doing a site again.. BUT ive been on facebook a lot recently and the amount of ajax/jquery/javascript used is slowing down and crashing the site so i was thinking..

would it be better to make a website with old school style meaning little ajax/jquery/javascript or should i go all in and add lots of it where it can be used..

personally i think a website old school would be better as too many websites are crashing due to all these server requests flying around everywhere!
I would put a signature.. BUT, i don't have the time.
jacek
Site Admin

Re: Old school or New school

Post by jacek »

Youtube is slow on my laptop with javascript enabled.

I think people need to be a bit more careful how they use things like AJAX, so instead of blindly using innerHTML to "refresh a div" just transfer the data you need as a JSON string.

The crashing has nothing to do with server requests, it is the browser locking up trying to process all the javascript, I imagine you would save your self a lot of these problems by not using jQuery :)
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

As said its not the servers fault its your hardware that's locking-up. The internet is moving forward massively from an old mono-tone HTML webpage. There is no harm in still creating a plain non interactive website or even a website with little javascript.

Personally I hate JS and will try to avoid using it where ever possible but todays demands you just have to use it or other similar technology's.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

My browser have never crashed or even looked up for a second o_O

Depends of the purpose really. But I'd go with a "new school" website just not be stupid and use stupid stuff.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:My browser have never crashed or even looked up for a second o_O

I use Firefox, it crashes all the time :D

What I find most irritating about web 2.0 sites is that they take so much longer to navigate because of all fading and sliding effects. There is nothing wrong with using AJAX and the occasional fade but make sure you use them correctly instead of refreshing a div.