Server from home without a router.

Talk about anything in here.
Temor

Server from home without a router.

Post by Temor »

Hey guys. I'm in the process of setting up a server to store files on which I can get to from wherever I am. I've googled and googled but only found tutorials on how to do this with a router.
The problem is that I do not have one.

Is there any way to do this without a router?

Basically I just want to be able to access the files on my " server " ( an old PC in my closet :P ) without too much hassle.
If there's no easy way I'll just use remote-desktop.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

( Not sure where to put this topic seeing as there's no fitting subforum. Jacek or Tino can move this if needed. )
Tino

Re: Server from home without a router.

Post by Tino »

Dropbox? :lol:
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
Temor

Post by Temor »

Tino wrote:
Dropbox? :lol:
It would be a great idea if it weren't for the fact that it would completely ruin me financially :P The amount of stuff I'm gonna store ( 2tb + ) would cost me a minimum of $795. I'd rather get a dedicated server :)
Tino

Post by Tino »

In that case... Quite understandable ;)
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

If you can plug the PC into an internet there is no need for a router you would just need to know its IP.

Saying that, you can pick up a cheap router for £15 so you may as well just do that.
Temor

Post by Temor »

jacek wrote:If you can plug the PC into an internet there is no need for a router you would just need to know its IP.
How would I go about doing that? I could not find a single well written article or tutorial online. All the ones I found required me to get a router and do some port-forwarding.
jacek wrote: Saying that, you can pick up a cheap router for £15 so you may as well just do that.
I did go ahead and buy an old router for like $6. Seems to be working just fine now :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

If you're the only one using the internet I would suggest NOT having a router...
Temor

Post by Temor »

EcazS wrote:If you're the only one using the internet I would suggest NOT having a router...
I'm not the only one, but the setup we have is quite unusual.
We have 3 lines. One for every bedroom and one for the living room. Me and my brother is sharing one line and the other line is purely for my gaming rig.
I'm going to put the router on the line to the living room.

All lines have different IP's too.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Temor wrote:How would I go about doing that? I could not find a single well written article or tutorial online.
As with most simple things, people forget about it. this page will tell you your external IP http://jacekk.co.uk/ip.php :)
Temor

Post by Temor »

jacek wrote:
Temor wrote:How would I go about doing that? I could not find a single well written article or tutorial online.
As with most simple things, people forget about it. this page will tell you your external IP http://jacekk.co.uk/ip.php :)
Alright, thank you :)

I'm gonna go ahead and skip the router. It said it had a cap of 54Mb/s which would have worked just fine. But in reality it capped at 6.