Talk about anything in here.
Carbine

Re: Building a Computer

Post by Carbine »

I got a AMD Radeon HD 6850 and it only just fits in my case :P
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

Hi mate I work for Sony (and before that HP) fixing and building their Laptops, Desktops and All-In one screen/hardware units so I have a lot of experience in this :D

Firstly you need to pick Intel or AMD CPU. At the moment Intel is winning hands down on performance but AMD is always the cheaper option.

The motherboard will be the most important thing to pick first, why? Everything plugs in to it (as you probably know) so everything else you need to buy has to work with that mainboard. Someone mention only buy from a well known brand this doesn't really ring true as the vast majority of boards are produced by 4 manufactures (yes different company's design them but they are all made in the same places).

Using an SSD is vital in todays computing they make an average PC perform better than a PC twice the price using a standard HDD, the HDD is the main bottle neck in a modern system. I use a 64GB one with windows, unbuntu installed and also have in windows my main apps such as adobe suite and coding programmes and this still eaves me around 30GB free. Your games can go on to a standard HDD (I have a 2TB samsung drive) as most of game load time is on the CPU.

The memory speed isn't massively important so don't get to hung up on it, yes 2000mhz will preform better than 1600mhz but its not something you would notice in day-to-day use only benchmark tests you would see a difference. As for amount 6gb is a good figure for triple channel, 4gb is good for dual channel (although memory is so cheap no harm going for 8gb). I run windows 7 with FF open, BBCiplayer, MSN, gtalk, football manager open most of the time and it never gets above 2gb used.

ebuyer as mentioned above are simply the best hardware supplier in the UK, although aria are also worth a shout.

Hope this helps let me know if you need any more info.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:At the moment Intel is winning hands down on performance

Say that to the AMD Bulldozer...
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

EcazS wrote:
twiggy wrote:At the moment Intel is winning hands down on performance

Say that to the AMD Bulldozer...

:lol: Yeah its always the biggest battle in computer hardware (just in front of ATi vs Nvidia). Luckily in my job I get to see and have a go with every CPU they both currently have and sell both desktop and mobile versions, Intel has definitely got the edge on performance and stability. A lot more units come back with AMD chips for freezing and being un-stable (and over heating for that matter) than the Intel units, which is strange as the Intel units out sell AMD units roughly 3/1.

They are always over taking each other, AMD had the edge a few years back with the Athlon XP range
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:AMD had the edge a few years back with the Athlon XP range

AMD has the edge right now with the Bulldozer.
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

Well considering the chip isn't even released yet I'm not sure how it can have the edge ;)

It takes alot more than just brute power to make a great chip, at the moment in the current market intel is winning hands down on both performance and reliability as I see day in day out :D
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:Well considering the chip isn't even released yet I'm not sure how it can have the edge ;)

You don't think they release it for testing? You don't think THEY test it? So far, the currently "best" planned Bulldozer is doing 25% better in speed, power and raw force than an i7.

Reliability? None of them are going to win that. 8/10 times it's the user that 'causes the fault.
Stupid People breaking their CPU and then blaming the manufacturer wrote:Oooooh, my CPU isn't waterproof?

It can't stand 102 degrees Celsius?

It's not supposed to be eaten?

I thought I could run this with a 100w PSU...

During the years when I used Intel I've had the exact amount of problems I've had with AMD. That is 0 problems at all. 'Cause I'm not a "n00b".
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:During the years when I used Intel I've had the exact amount of problems I've had with AMD. That is 0 problems at all. 'Cause I'm not a "n00b".

You speak sense sir !
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

I have never had a problem with my AMD set-up when I had one, its nothing to do with being a noob. I can only go from raw, hard data here at the repair centre and AMD chips are replaced far more often than Intel, this has nothing to do with user error as they are all built in the same place by the same people :)

Considering Intel units out sell the AMD units 3/1 you would expect more Intel systems back (CPU/overheating ect faults) maybe 3times as many? But no we get more AMD chips failing than Intel, sorry I can only go on facts, this is out of 550+ units a day across desktop, laptop, netbook and 'all-in-one' (tv/pc's for the non tech head).

I'm not saying test chips are not out there but until those chips are used on a mass scale over a period of time you can't really compare them yet.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:I'm not saying test chips are not out there but until those chips are used on a mass scale over a period of time you can't really compare them yet.

Why is that? Sending it out to thousands of people comparing them with i7, i5, i3, Phenom is an invalid test? I know for a fact that AMD has had a testing unit since early June comparing it with an i7 both "retail" and never before used (obviously).
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

I know for a fact that AMD has had a testing unit since early June

Well AMD are not going to say its worse than the I7?

twiggy wrote:I'm not saying test chips are not out there but until those chips are used on a mass scale over a period of time you can't really compare them yet.

Why is that?

There is no way to tell how the chip will preform in the real world with real users. Yes you can run benchmark tests and stress tests but they simply wont compare to users using them on a daily bases the chips warming up and cooling down over and over, the chips running under different conditions in different environments, you simply can't compare the chips until this has been done.

Hence back to my point, I see well over 500 units a day and have access to the component failures and the fact is AMD chips fail more often than the Intel ones even when more Intel units are sold.

I have nothing against AMD I can only go on facts and lucky for me I'm in a pretty good place to see it day in day out.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:
I know for a fact that AMD has had a testing unit since early June

Well AMD are not going to say its worse than the I7?

They're not? Quite recently when they released a X6 CPU and they even said it wasn't as fast as the i7.

I'm also going on facts since they do release it to certain people* that tests it in stress, desktop usage, general usage

*they sent one to toms hardware.