Programming fun time

Talk about anything in here.
jacek
Site Admin

Re: Programming fun time

Post by jacek »

Dylan wrote:With full security you should be able to call your table "table" and have no worries :p
very true ;)
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Dylan wrote:
jacek wrote:who calls their table "users" :lol:
With full security you should be able to call your table "table" and have no worries :p
actually, with full security you shouldn't have to worry about people breaking in in the first place! :lol:
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

jacek wrote:
Dylan wrote:With full security you should be able to call your table "table" and have no worries :p
very true ;)
I remember you saying once that "If your site is secure, you should not have to worry about encrypting password data";
I thought you were crazy at the time, and now I realize what you meant :P
JelvinJS7 wrote:actually, with full security you shouldn't have to worry about people breaking in in the first place!
That was the implied statement.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Exactly, you still should, because staff or admins may be allowed legit access to the db.

But if you keep the data safe, it means nobody can get it anyway.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

jacek wrote:Exactly, you still should, because staff or admins may be allowed legit access to the db.

But if you keep the data safe, it means nobody can get it anyway.
Yah; and then there is always the chance that something goes terribly wrong and access is gained and then that's not nice. It's the principle behind it though!
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

hmm… someday i will do this:
CREATE DATABASE database;

CREATE TABLE table (
column_1 INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
PRIMARY KEY(column_1),
column_2 varchar(255),
column_3 varchar(255)
-- etc
);
that'll be fun!
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Doesn't look that fun I have to be honest :lol:
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

jacek wrote:Doesn't look that fun I have to be honest :lol:
I concur; creating MySQL tables is boring and tedious. Often times I put off projects as I am truly that lazy; I will code everything and not want to make the table, so no testing can be done.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

jacek wrote:Doesn't look that fun I have to be honest :lol:
Well not code it. I'd PMA it.
But that's what it'd look like?

Wait how'd we start talking about tables and security?! :shock: :?
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7 wrote:Wait how'd we start talking about tables and security?! :shock: :?
What was this topic about again :lol:

I actually have no idea, I would have to look back.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

jacek wrote:
JelvinJS7 wrote:Wait how'd we start talking about tables and security?! :shock: :?

This is why your forums are great! You get off topic as much (*cough* more *cough*) as anyone else so it is thereby allowed!

The original topic was commenting on the different views of a programmer versus a regular visitor to any given website.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Dylan wrote:
jacek wrote:

This is why your forums are great! You get off topic as much (*cough* more *cough*) as anyone else so it is thereby allowed!

The original topic was commenting on the different views of a programmer versus a regular visitor to any given website.
Yeah basically. Lol jacek :lolno:
I feel like I'm on google buzz right now. It always gets extremely off topic! :?:
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Dylan wrote:This is why your forums are great! You get off topic as much (*cough* more *cough*) as anyone else so it is thereby allowed!
Only in general chat :) Its the nature of discussion (or chat) to move off from the original topic, which is what this section is for ;)

If you are that interested, here is what I wrote as a guideline for moderators.
Going Off-Topic
If the flow of discussion has moved from the original focus of the topic the action needed may be one of the following. If a large number of posts one a unrelated topic have been made, these posts should be split into a new topic and given an appropriate title. If the topic was originally asking for help and the problem has been solved, the topic should be locked and a post made stating the reason why it should also be made clear that if the OP has a follow up question they can PM a moderator for the post to be unlocked. An unsolved topic should never be locked.

A more relaxed approach to this rule should be taken in the General Chat forum, as it is in the nature of conversation to deviate to a new subject when the original one has been exhausted. Basically, chatting in the chat forum should not be punished. However, if a user makes a completely unrelated post in a topic (in a way that breaks the flow of discussion) this should still be split into a new topic.

The same applies in the Introductions section, just like in real life when you introduce yourself to a group of people, they do not immediately leave. If a discussion in this section goes on for a long time (~ 40 replies) it should be split and moved to the General Chat forum.
So now you know ;)
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

jacek wrote:
Dylan wrote:This is why your forums are great! You get off topic as much (*cough* more *cough*) as anyone else so it is thereby allowed!
Only in general chat :) Its the nature of discussion (or chat) to move off from the original topic, which is what this section is for ;)

If you are that interested, here is what I wrote as a guideline for moderators.
Going Off-Topic
If the flow of discussion has moved from the original focus of the topic the action needed may be one of the following. If a large number of posts one a unrelated topic have been made, these posts should be split into a new topic and given an appropriate title. If the topic was originally asking for help and the problem has been solved, the topic should be locked and a post made stating the reason why it should also be made clear that if the OP has a follow up question they can PM a moderator for the post to be unlocked. An unsolved topic should never be locked.

A more relaxed approach to this rule should be taken in the General Chat forum, as it is in the nature of conversation to deviate to a new subject when the original one has been exhausted. Basically, chatting in the chat forum should not be punished. However, if a user makes a completely unrelated post in a topic (in a way that breaks the flow of discussion) this should still be split into a new topic.

The same applies in the Introductions section, just like in real life when you introduce yourself to a group of people, they do not immediately leave. If a discussion in this section goes on for a long time (~ 40 replies) it should be split and moved to the General Chat forum.
So now you know ;)
Psssst. Make me mod!
Haha jk ;) (but if you did that'd be swell!)

But we should just find someplace for a live group chat, instead of posting here, and slowing down the servers and stuff…
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7 wrote:Psssst. Make me mod!
If we ever need more than 2 mods, you will be considered :)
JelvinJS7 wrote:But we should just find someplace for a live group chat
I am still planning to set up an IRC channel ;) Just need to get around to it, plus I kind of like all the posting.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

jacek wrote:
JelvinJS7 wrote:Psssst. Make me mod!
If we ever need more than 2 mods, you will be considered :)
JelvinJS7 wrote:But we should just find someplace for a live group chat
I am still planning to set up an IRC channel ;) Just need to get around to it, plus I kind of like all the posting.
Yah ahaha, you love those milestones you keep reaching! Post away!

I am glad though, in a slightly off topic but still related issue, that on forums like this one post count means nothing. I have been a member of forums where the only way your input is even looked at is if you have X number of posts and it's quite annoying, leads to a heavy amount of spam and that sort of thing. It seems to matter very little in these types of forums so yay!

Also, the more I think of it, the more I think I would use an IRC despite my original comments.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Dylan wrote:Yah ahaha, you love those milestones you keep reaching! Post away!
Almost at 2,000 posts :D
Dylan wrote:I am glad though, in a slightly off topic but still related issue, that on forums like this one post count means nothing.
Yeah, well there is no reason for it to mean anything. The number of posts you made is in no way reflective of how much you contribute to the community. The rep system is also a bit or a pain... How well do you think counting the number of times a user is replied to with a post containing the word "thanks" (and similar) would work ? Instead of having a button ? It would be fun to make anyway :lol:
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Hehe I feel special!
jelvinjs7 wrote: Psssst. Make me mod!
Haha jk (but if you did that'd be swell!)
If we ever need more than 2 mods, you will be considered [/quote]

Also, not to mention your rep at phpacademy!
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Rep systems are silly.
Post counts are silly.

Post content is about all that matters; I mean, when you have 10,531 Posts comprising of 20.70% of the total forum posts + 117 rep points; I guess that says something. But if someone posts a lot and is rarely any help, they mean nothing.
Tino

Post by Tino »

Dylan wrote:Rep systems are silly.
Post counts are silly.

Post content is about all that matters; I mean, when you have 10,531 Posts comprising of 20.70% of the total forum posts + 117 rep points; I guess that says something. But if someone posts a lot and is rarely any help, they mean nothing.
Personally I always try to steer cleer of any sort of counting systems like those. Post count and reputation systems on popular forums often just end up leading to elitism. I've been there, and it took us a long time to finally get rid of it. As in, a couple of months!

However, on this kind of forum, where people request help, I don't see any harm in it. It's useful for people to see who has been helpful to many people already, meaning they can see if someone is a reliable source or not.
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I am hoping to come up with some kind of reward system for people who are consistently helpful, not sure what yet. But a thanks counter of some sort will be needed ;)