CodeCanyon Piracy

Talk about anything in here.
Tino

CodeCanyon Piracy

Post by Tino »

I am seriously amazed...

http://scriptmafia.org/modules/58123-co ... rator.html

What the heck is my item doing there for free?

Apologies for the swearing, these kind of things just make me mad. One puts a lot of effort in something like this, and then you get this. I also noticed many other items available on Envato marketplaces are available for free there, and I already contacted them about this. It's just insane...
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
Temor

Re: CodeCanyon Piracy

Post by Temor »

That's lame... That site is filled with pirated scripts...

Someone should take that site down.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

This is the bad site of using a popular site to sell stuff.

My items are on there too, but I don't really care that much. The people that will pirate somethign like this are not that likely to buy it anyway.

If you do want it removed, the file hosting site is probably the best place to go.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I would advice, try not to let it bother you, because the war on piracy cannot be won.

It goes back to the social issues cannot be solved with technical solutions again.
Tino

Post by Tino »

Maybe so, but I don't like seeing my items there for free. I created that item for sale on that marketplace, and they're simply violating copyright. I just hate that.

Well, at least I got my cool badge for helping out against copyright violations :)

Also, yes, I did send scriptmafia a message to delete it from their web site. Let's just hope they will respond.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Tino wrote:Also, yes, I did send scriptmafia a message to delete it from their web site. Let's just hope they will respond.

They are a piracy site, seems unlikely that they would respond, I meant you would have more look with the hosting site, in this case filesonic.
Tino

Post by Tino »

Yes, I did that as well ;)
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

some one from codecanyon created a site to allow people to send multiple file take downs to a large number of file hosts in one go, forget the name now take a look in the CC forums for a link.
conradk

Post by conradk »

Ah :( That sucks. But yeah, people that pirate things don't buy anyway.

Although I'm not completely against piracy (for instance, pirating a Justin Bieber song will not make him become poor), I believe that hard work should be rewarded. I will definitely try to give some money to things like Ad Block for Chrome/Firefox or buy items on CodeCanyon once I actually have a job (5 years left at least till I get my master's degree :lol: ).

What I would do, rather than contacting the hosting company, would be to even try to contact the registrar of the domain :) If you get to take down the domain, the whole 'member base' might go with it. Depending on the registrar, you might be able to take the site down. Also, even though I am against Bill 978 passes into law, you will be able to force the registrar to take the site down easily if the registrar is USA located.

Regards,
CK
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

A DDOS would be easier than all that legal nonsense. :lol:

Either way, taking the site down is not going to help, there will be another one within days. It comes back to that google IO quote again about how sociological problems cannot be solved with technological solutions.

There needs to be more incentive to buy something, then people will. Saying that, it can also be a convenience thing, downloading that one file from filesonic is much easier than registering a paypal and codecanyon account. I used to pirate PC games just because it was easier than going to the shop and having to mess around with serial numbers and SecuROM crap but not I use Steam, which is just as easy as piracy used to be. I used to pirate music because it was easier than buying CDs and importing them to my PC, now I use Spotify which is even easier than piracy was.

Perusing the war against pirates will end up consuming your life as you have to send out more and more take down requests and they just get re-uploaded. Think about it, how many times have you go to download a TV show or somethign from a file host like filesonic, found the link down, googled, and found thousands more that work.
conradk

Post by conradk »

jacek wrote:There needs to be more incentive to buy something, then people will.

Agreed. When's Netflix comin' to Europe btw ?!!! I'm tired of French television having none of the good US Series like 'The Big Bang Theory', which I love (don't ask how I got it).
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Probably never ;)
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Netflix is the worse.

Also, piracy is a fight that is generally not worth taking; I understand the frustration associated with it, but in all honesty it will never be gone. As Jacek said, it is much too easy to just re-upload the sites which host the pirating;

Another contributor to it is the simple cost of goods. Pirating computer software makes sense to people because in all honesty, how many people truly want to spend $1000 on photoshop when in 15 minutes it is theirs for free? The largest bother is that things like music, movies and programs, when done electronically cost no money to produce after they have been created. There is no need to charge a dollar per song, seeing as that song (after the producers have been paid) is entire profit. If prices weren't so unreasonable, I think a large decline in piracy would be inevitable.
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

To be fair on your music point dylan, a single use to cost £3 here in the UK now you can get it for around £1 which is a big cut but as you also point out its still a massive profit (for a large selling track), producers have to sell at this price to fund new talent. A new band might only sell 1000 copy's at £1 each so that's £1000, do you think that covers the cost of the studio, instruments, producers, distributors and everyone else involved?

What a lot of artists are now doing in the UK is giving away there music (and not just small time new groups either) to build the fan base as all the money is now in gigs (which can't be pirated well not very easily :D).

If I download a movie, I would have no intention of going to see it anyway, if I want to see a film I will go see it at the pics to support what they are doing.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Pirate and proud of it! >:)
I don't pirate things like scripts though... that's lame.
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

Why do you think pirating scripts is lame but everything else is not?
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

twiggy wrote:Why do you think pirating scripts is lame but everything else is not?

I NEVER said "everything else"....

And why? Probably because I know PHP, I can write PHP. That might be why............
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

twiggy wrote:To be fair on your music point dylan, a single use to cost £3 here in the UK now you can get it for around £1 which is a big cut but as you also point out its still a massive profit (for a large selling track), producers have to sell at this price to fund new talent. A new band might only sell 1000 copy's at £1 each so that's £1000, do you think that covers the cost of the studio, instruments, producers, distributors and everyone else involved?

The point is a digital copy costs absolutely nothing to distribute. Well next to nothing; some bandwidth maybe.
I am not talking hard copies of songs; I am merely saying the MP3, which is how most people go about buying music nowadays. After it has been produced, people have been paid, it no longer actually has any cost. They would be much better to strongly reduce the price so people actually pay for it. I understand CD's and Albums, etc. selling for more; around a dollar a song, seeing as that would cover the costs and still leave profit, but MP3's for a dollar? Come on.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Script mafia… cute. Clever name. Not
Granted that the source code is practically saying "HI! IM A WEBSITE THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD PIRATED SCRIPTS FROM ILLEGALLY!", there should be a system that will automatically ddos sites with that implication in it.

And since there's talk about pirating Music VS Scripts, let me explain my ethically belief:
There are 2 people: a famous musician, and a programmer. The musician makes all his money by creating and performing music. the programmer makes all his money by creating a publishing his code.
The musician has a lot of methods of profiting from his career. He has downloads/CDs, concerts, and souvenirs sold. Whereas the programmer can really only make and sell code.
Obviously, if no music or code was pirated, the musician would make more.
However, say a lot of people started pirating the musician's music. That would make a decline in his sales of music. However, that's just a handful of -$1.29 and won't affect them that much. Especially granted that most profit comes Fron concerts.
And in pirating, the listener will like the artist and therefore most likely will want/try to see him in concert.

However, if the programmer's codes were pirated, then they would get no money at all for his work. And there aren't many similar methods of selling code that actually go along with it.

Therefore: pirating music = not TOO bad. Pirating scripts = bad
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

JelvinJS7 wrote:there should be a system that will automatically ddos sites with that implication in it.

I think shutting them down would be a lot easier....
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7 wrote:However, say a lot of people started pirating the musician's music. That would make a decline in his sales of music.

There is still a lot of debate about that, most figures are based on the estimated number of downloads and assuming that each of those would have been paid for.

twiggy wrote:now you can get it for around £1 which is a big cut

But if you buy a download, you are a FOOL ! Because to actually use it you have to remove the DRM, which is illegal anyway !