Immortality

Talk about anything in here.
EcazS

Immortality

Post by EcazS »

This is quite old but in case you haven't read it then please read this and then come back to discuss!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... ntist.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6959575/ns/ ... yC3f1zj52B

It seems incredible far-fetched and even stupid to me that we humans would ever be immortal but at the same time this man as predicted so much to come in our technology and he's been right every time.

The more I learned about this man the more I actually started to think that he could actually be right about this...
Temor

Re: Immortality

Post by Temor »

It would be cool, but impractical. I doubt we will be able to cope with the repercussions of immortality just yet seeing as we can't handle half of the world population as is. And that is with a pretty low life expectancy. I think we should focus on more important things as of now.

There is also a very good quote by Susan Ertz on the subject of immortality.
Susan Ertz wrote:Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Temor wrote:I think we should focus on more important things as of now.

If by other things you mean the population issue and water/food issues then I honestly think the opposite, sort off.

I've always thought that maybe if we spent more research on stem cells, learning more about the universe (space) and things like this that we could go much further. I mean, we can already "grow" hearts from *stem cells so what if we put more time and effort into that? This may sound weird but we could then "grow" meat products (food).

And what if we put more effort into the whole space thing; you know, looking for habitable planets, space travel and all that.

*sigh* Maybe it's just me, I just want all those cool things to happen. Maybe I should freeze myself for a 1000 years...when you can :lol:

*http://singularityhub.com/2009/06/23/stem-cells-used-to-grow-hearts-cool-new-pics-and-vid/
Temor

Post by Temor »

The problem today is not the lack of food, but more the lack or efficient logistics. We know how to feed tens of billions of people. We just don't know how to get the food to them. What we need to do is educate people on how to feed themselves.

Or we could just forget about everyone else and focus on the industrialized countries. That's another effective, although immoral, solution.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

That's true but it's also part of a the problem, I read somewhere that if we did manage to get food out to the countries in need that we would burn out our resources quite fast. Finding an efficient means of transport would also be a good thing to invest into, I know they already are but still. I don't wanna drown in the next 20 years :/
Temor

Post by Temor »

EcazS wrote:That's true but it's also part of a the problem, I read somewhere that if we did manage to get food out to the countries in need that we would burn out our resources quite fast. Finding an efficient means of transport would also be a good thing to invest into, I know they already are but still. I don't wanna drown in the next 20 years :/

Growing crops in Europe and export them to Africa is counterproductive. What we need to do instead is give the poor people of Africa the tools and knowledge to grow the crops themselves. This way they can use the giant wastelands as farms and defeat hunger themselves. This would not suck up any of " our " resources, seeing as it comes from a completely new source that was not there before.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

But they need water. The water over there is very, very bad.
Temor

Post by Temor »

EcazS wrote:But they need water. The water over there is very, very bad.

They have a lot of water underground. They need the technology to retrieve it. Once that's done, their societies can bloom.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I cant imagine anything worse than being literally immortal.
Temor

Post by Temor »

jacek wrote:I cant imagine anything worse than being literally immortal.

It would get quite boring floating around in space for millions of years until you start orbiting a star or something.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Nah, ever since I was able to think "logically" I've always wanted to know what was going to happen with humanity. I mean, we're killing out planet. I wanna know how we solve things
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:I wanna know how we solve things

We won't, we'll kill ourselves.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:
EcazS wrote:I wanna know how we solve things

We won't, we'll kill ourselves.