Protect IP / SOPA

Talk about anything in here.
jacek
Site Admin

Protect IP / SOPA

Post by jacek »

Watch this video and be annoyed about it ! Then go and look at some more things.

The forum will be joining the rest of the internet in protest on the 18th, nothing major just a few extra links around the place and usability won't be affected if you can reload a page.

Before anybody says it's pointless for such a small website, if just one person sees this video that would not have done otherwise. That is worth it, and we have a good chance of that happening ;)
EcazS

Re: Protect IP / SOPA

Post by EcazS »

I really hope this doesn't go through. Every modern country will have a major setback in their economy. I even think our technology will have a setback.

I read somewhere on a blog that the bill didn't even make sense. In one instance they referred domains to piracy. I'm serious, they said domains were the cause of piracy, DOMAINS. A domain is just the name! A neat IP!
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:they said domains were the cause of piracy

That is the problem when people that have no idea about technology try to write about technology !

Honestly, I really doubt it will pass now all this bad publicity has been generated.

Wikipedia is down ! That is literally the worst thing to even happen ! ;)
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

In other news, I made the censoring a bit more frequent and the mouse over text of the removed words show the actual word to make it less irritating ;)

For those of you who think I never write bad code, here is the function used to process each post's text

[syntax=php]function sopa_protest_thing($text){
if (date('d') != '18' || ($_GET['f'] == 11 && $_GET['t'] == 946)){
return $text;
}

$words = explode(' ', $text);

foreach ($words as &$word){
if (preg_match('#^[a-z]+$#i', $word) === 1 && preg_match("#\[syntax(?:.*)\](?:.*){$word}(?:.*)\[/syntax\]#i", $text) !== 1){
if (rand(0, 100) < 2){
$word = '<a href="http://betterphp.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=946" style="background-color:#111; color:#eee; padding:2px;" title="' . $word . '">[CENSORED]</a>';
}
}
}

return implode(' ', $words);
}[/syntax]

It's only for one day eh.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

I find it interesting that you're protesting when this is an American thing. At the same time it's awesome :-)
I had been telling my friends about it for at Least a month and then yesterday they start freakibg out. Ik like "wtf? I warned you about the blackout and everything!
And I think they still don't get it! It cansad destroy the Internet!

My friend says that it's a civil war centralized in California. North vs South. Silicon Valley VS Hollywood.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Why wouldn't we non-americans be concerned? If this goes through they would censor Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and so on. Unless all of those sites creates a standard that is only available for american IPs, which we both know they wont do.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Yeah, if it passes this will affect everybody. There is a pretty good video about it that the description told me I should share...

Now I must remember to take that code out of the forum before next month ! ;)
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

EcazS wrote:Why wouldn't we non-americans be concerned? If this goes through they would censor Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and so on. Unless all of those sites creates a standard that is only available for american IPs, which we both know they wont do.

good point.

here's a great video:
Curia

Post by Curia »

SOPA is going to do the complete opposite of protecting american interlectual property, it will destroy it, Facebook is one classic example, does america want the worlds most popular website (after google) which was created by an american shutdown because some 3rd party complained about something that someone posted?

Apart from that, it would effect all countries because a majority of these websites are run from the US, so screwing them up means others get the blunt end as well.

Its all a big fat lie to introduce some form of controlling information and free speech from coporates with to much money.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

this is what it's about.
also: this is jeopardy
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7 wrote:this is what it's about.

He said piracy is stealing, therefore he is stupid !
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

jacek wrote:
JelvinJS7 wrote:this is what it's about.

He said piracy is stealing, therefore he is stupid !

True. That is a false statement that many people believe. But still
Curia

Post by Curia »

Funny thing is they oppose it, yet i bet they have pirated at least one movie/song or listened/watched a pirated movie.
Its a simple fact, everyone who own a computer by default has participated in some form of piracy even if it was unwillingly.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

it's not over yet
The guy the wrote the article wrote:In a statement, Reid announced that the planned vote in the Senate on Tuesday would now be postponed, but not killed off entirely.

personally, i think we may need some super smart computer geeks to create a new internet. that'd be awesome and maybe successful.
Temor

Post by Temor »

JelvinJS7 wrote:

it's not over yet
The guy the wrote the article wrote:In a statement, Reid announced that the planned vote in the Senate on Tuesday would now be postponed, but not killed off entirely.

personally, i think we may need some super smart computer geeks to create a new internet. that'd be awesome and maybe successful.

It would not change a thing considering it's still an "internet". The same rules and regulations would still apply.

What happens now is that they will probably just rewrite a few lines in the proposition and call it something else in a few months, only to spark the same discussion again, and again.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Temor wrote:
JelvinJS7 wrote:personally, i think we may need some super smart computer geeks to create a new internet. that'd be awesome and maybe successful.

It would not change a thing considering it's still an "internet". The same rules and regulations would still apply.

well, if we used new ISPs, hypothetically speaking we could bypass the censorship.
i think… maybe… i don't know…
this wasn't my idea.

in other news:
the guy the writes emails for the TheYoungTurks mailing list wrote:This past week Cenk came loaded for bear, applying the full weight of the TYT bully pulpit to exposing the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), which more appropriately might be called the "Kill The Internet Act" (KTIA). Or the "Let's Do the Bidding of our Corporate Masters in the Entertainment Industry Act" (LDBCMEIA).
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

JelvinJS7 wrote:well, if we used new ISPs, hypothetically speaking we could bypass the censorship.

Nope, if SOPA passes they can force every ISP to block access to certain sites, every ISP in the US that is, that's one thing that wont affect every other country!
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I saw a proposal for an entirely Peer-To-Peer Internet on Reddit. That would be impossible apply any stupid law like this to.

Interesting idea, not very practical.
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

Megaupload still exists: http://109.236.83.66/
I don't like to brag, but I wasn't circumcised. I was circumnavigated. ;)

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

bowersbros wrote:Megaupload still exists: http://109.236.83.66/

That looks like someone trying to capitalize off of it closing to me :s