I tried stuff...

Talk about anything in here.
EcazS

I tried stuff...

Post by EcazS »

I tried CodeIgniter. Couldn't wrap my head around it :lol:
Seems like overly much work even for the most advanced things.

I also tried Ruby on Rails which I'm really enjoying just to bad my host is running the 1.8.3 version which is 4 YEARS OLD so if I actually wanna do something I have to switch host :lol:

Bottom line, CodeIgniter seems a tad bit "heavy" and Rails is fun.

Also! Do you guys know any other frameworks? Or any other server web application languages like PHP and Rails or any GOOD frameworks. I'm having this moment where PHP is really boring and I wanna try something new...
jacek
Site Admin

Re: I tried stuff...

Post by jacek »

For the simple stuff using a framework is a bit overkill because it adds so much more code to be processed, this is more important with scripting languages like php when all of the code is interpreted every time the page loads.

Also,most shared hosting still runs php 5.2 which is also quite old ;)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I tried CakePHP too which seems to have a stupid naming rule.
I was following a tutorial on how to create a blog with it (to learn CRUD in CakePHP) but I named my root folder CakeBlog so for some reason whenever the tutorial typed "Post" or "Posts" I had to type "CakeBlog" instead just because I had a different folder name. Which resulted in me having to rename all files and functions that include post or posts and a bunch of other stupid bullshit o_O.

I'm currently making a CMS but I wanted to switch it over onto a framework but...that wont happen now...
unemployment

Post by unemployment »

CodeIgniter is amazing. If you stick with it long enough and you are kind of bad at php like me it will end up saving you a lot of time. Their helper files and libraries are great once you understand the logic.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I don't consider myself bad at PHP but frankly the only reason I wanted a framework was because I've grown tired of how PHP looks... I know, weird reason right? So instead of doing something unnecessary because of a stupid reason I'm gonna finish my CMS and start re-learning JavaScript instead.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:I don't consider myself bad at PHP but frankly the only reason I wanted a framework was because I've grown tired of how PHP looks... I know, weird reason right? So instead of doing something unnecessary because of a stupid reason I'm gonna finish my CMS and start re-learning JavaScript instead.

Id try a different language if that's the reason ;)
libeco

Post by libeco »

I don't find CI hard at all. But there's enough choice:
- Zend
- Kohana (originally started from CI I believe)
- FuelPHP (based on CI I believe)
- Yii
- Symfony
- Drupal (CMS, but does have a API for building upon)
- ModX (don't really know it, might be a CMS or a framework)