About the October Contest

Talk about anything in here.
EcazS

About the October Contest

Post by EcazS »

A web crawler basically gets the links of a website right? That's what I got out of looking on Wikipedia...
But, how simple does it have to be? Just scan one page or scan one page and then scan a sub-page? So, if I scanned the betterphp index it would get the navigation links and then scan those pages.

:S
jacek
Site Admin

Re: About the October Contest

Post by jacek »

That's totally up to you :) The main idea is to get information from the pages that could be used to make keywords for a search engine though.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Do I get extra points if I make the output in a neat way? Instead of printing arrays? :lol:
Temor

Post by Temor »

EcazS wrote:Do I get extra points if I make the output in a neat way? Instead of printing arrays? :lol:

It probably depends on where you're planning on outputting the info. I'm planning on doing this in the command prompt, and cleaning it up or not, it still looks terrible :P
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:Do I get extra points if I make the output in a neat way? Instead of printing arrays? :lol:

Not really, since the point is just what information can be found. It might make it easier for me though since print_r tends to use up a lot more lines than it needs to.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:It might make it easier for me though since print_r tends to use up a lot more lines than it needs to.

So it all comes down to IF we wanna be nice to you? :lol:
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

If you are nice I will look at it overall in a more positive way, so it would be in your interest :)

The information that is found would normally be put into a database and never output directly, which is why I'm not really considering the output format part of the task.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Are you allowed to ask for help on the forums if you run into a problem while trying to do this? :lol:
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:Are you allowed to ask for help on the forums if you run into a problem while trying to do this? :lol:

You can ask things, but the code you submit must be your own.
conradk

Post by conradk »

I've actually looked around for some things like how to make a relative URL to absolute with PHP. All I could find kinda sucked so I just did it myself =D lol

Quick question: how many entries are you up to now ? I've done about 20% of mine. Debugging takes so fucking long. Might be me not being that good yet :P But anyways, this thing is fun. Really digging it.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:You can ask things, but the code you submit must be your own.

So if someone corrects something in my code I can't use it? :O
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

conradk wrote:I've actually looked around for some things like how to make a relative URL to absolute with PHP. All I could find kinda sucked so I just did it myself =D lol

you will get that problem a lot ! But the fact that you noticed that it sucked is good :D

EcazS wrote:Quick question: how many entries are you up to now ? I've done about 20% of mine.

So far 7, only 5 did the right thing though.

conradk wrote:Might be me not being that good yet :P But anyways, this thing is fun. Really digging it.

Exactly why I like doing the competitions :D You seem to have the right idea !

EcazS wrote:So if someone corrects something in my code I can't use it? :O

You can use their correction, but you can't copy their code block and use it. Just don't copy and paste.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

When you say only 5 people did the right thing... Do you mean that the other 2 sent in some random stuff o_O?
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Someone sent something to get information from a users steam profile, and someone else sent in the code for a random Bukkit plugin.
conradk

Post by conradk »

Almost done with my entry (I hope to get it done tomorrow :P ). How about you guys ? Have you posted yours yet ?

Btw, how many entries are you up to Jacek ? I'm curious :mrgreen:
Temor

Post by Temor »

I'm pretty much half way through now... I've been " done " like 4 times, but always changed my mind about something in the last second.

Redoing it for the final time now :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I just have one more thing to do and then I'll be done. But I'm swamped with work right now, hardly even have time to eat and sleep :lol:. Hopefully I can get it done by the end though.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:I just have one more thing to do and then I'll be done. But I'm swamped with work right now, hardly even have time to eat and sleep :lol:. Hopefully I can get it done by the end though.

Yours is the longest so far... And 10 now, 8 of which are real entries.

Temor wrote:I'm pretty much half way through now... I've been " done " like 4 times, but always changed my mind about something in the last second.

Development is always like that !

EcazS wrote:I just have one more thing to do and then I'll be done. But I'm swamped with work right now, hardly even have time to eat and sleep :lol:. Hopefully I can get it done by the end though.

There is no real end, I have started getting more messages than I really wan to reply to via YouTube. Expect an update / general rambling update soon (first thing is closing date).

Also, the system for picking the winner is basically this. The wrong entries will be deleted, after that each one will be reviewed and given points based on various things (basically how good it is). The number of points will be used to weight the chance of an entry winning. So more points means more chance, but everyone that enters will get a decent chance :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

DON'T END THE CONTEST YET!!!

I'm gonna send in my entry when I get back from work! Plz no end yet!
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:DON'T END THE CONTEST YET!!!

I'm gonna send in my entry when I get back from work! Plz no end yet!

*rolls eyes* Okay, you have until midnight UK time.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:*rolls eyes* Okay, you have until midnight UK time.

I sent you a PM since the competition tab is not "open". Hope that's okay.