Server Move !

Talk about anything in here.
jacek
Site Admin

Server Move !

Post by jacek »

Over the next day or so I will be moving the forum (and everything else) to the new server. This means that the occasional unresponsiveness of the forum will stop (it happens if you happen to load the page during a MySQL backup).

I will move the database over at the time I move all of the files over and once the DNS information is updated the move will be pretty seamless (hopefully :?).

This means:
  • I can cut £13 from my monthly hosting bill :D :D :D
  • The forum will be faster :D
  • I may be able to offer hosting and other cool stuff to forum members :D
Just so you don't if the site if briefly offline or there are some weird bugs :D
Curia

Re: Server Move !

Post by Curia »

SWEET.
great to see improvements on the site, I wondered about the unresponsivness lol.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Wait! You can switch server without switching software! Which means you have to hurry up and finish XHBB :D :lol:
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I know ! I really need to make some time to work on that. I think it would be easier to finish XHBB than it would to make a nice theme for phpbb I just need a few hours to make the PM system and it is then usable !
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:I just need a few hours to make the PM system and it is then usable !
I can help you!
lol just kidding I can't.....
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

I may have some free time, if you add me on skype and give me details.. Ill put some hours in for you :)
I don't like to brag, but I wasn't circumcised. I was circumnavigated. ;)

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

bowersbros wrote:I may have some free time, if you add me on skype and give me details.. Ill put some hours in for you :)
It would take longer to explain the code I have now than it would just to finish the damn thing ! Thanks for the offer though :D
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

you shouldn't need to explain the current code, you should only have to explain what it is you need building still.. Feature wise etc :P

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

Hosting for US? oooohhhhhh 8-) :)
Curia

Post by Curia »

jacek wrote:I know ! I really need to make some time to work on that. I think it would be easier to finish XHBB than it would to make a nice theme for phpbb I just need a few hours to make the PM system and it is then usable !
i have some experience with themee for forums, and could help build one, even if you already have a built css, either i could skin it as well.
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

There isn't much point if there is only one section left until his forum software is ready for use :)

Curia

Post by Curia »

bowersbros wrote:There isn't much point if there is only one section left until his forum software is ready for use :)
I meant to help out with the design on the new forum when he gets it running> from what ive seen on the main page Jacek is extremly capable, but i wouldnt mind lending a hand to help out.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I also have to work out the phpbb import method and build the installer, so there is a fair bit to do still !
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Just to let you know, I'm doing the server move right now :D
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

jacek wrote:Just to let you know, I'm doing the server move right now :D
Many many hours later... still moving servers !
Temor

Post by Temor »

jacek wrote:
jacek wrote:Just to let you know, I'm doing the server move right now :D
Many many hours later... still moving servers !
Wow, I had no idea it would take this long :)

We appreciate your hard work Jacek :)
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Temor wrote:Wow, I had no idea it would take this long :)

We appreciate your hard work Jacek :)
A lot of things went wrong :lol: Mostly me being thick and typoing.

I spent a few hours tweaking various settings and benchmarking, interesting things I found out
  • The new server can server ~ 22.5 times as may page requests compared to the current one.
  • With the minecraft server disabled it goes up by 0.5 which corresponds to ~ 70 requests per second.
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

jacek wrote:A lot of things went wrong :lol: Mostly me being thick and typoing.
What do you have to do to get it to work?
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

JelvinJS7 wrote:
jacek wrote:A lot of things went wrong :lol: Mostly me being thick and typoing.
What do you have to do to get it to work?
One time I moved a file when I meant to copy it which means I could not log in or run any commands. I used netboot to move it back. The second thing was changing the permissions of a folder to 0677 and not 0777 which basically did the same thing and the solution was the same :D It took a while though because I could not reboot the server so have to use the hard reset thing which causes a disk check meaning it takes about 10 minutes to come back online.
Temor

Post by Temor »

jacek wrote:[*]The new server can server ~ 22.5 times as may page requests compared to the current one.
[*]With the minecraft server disabled it goes up by 0.5 which corresponds to ~ 70 requests per second.[/list]
Wow, that is a massive increase in power. You were not lying :D
jacek wrote:One time I moved a file when I meant to copy it which means I could not log in or run any commands. I used netboot to move it back. The second thing was changing the permissions of a folder to 0677 and not 0777 which basically did the same thing and the solution was the same :D It took a while though because I could not reboot the server so have to use the hard reset thing which causes a disk check meaning it takes about 10 minutes to come back online.
Honest mistakes.

I have forgotten the password to my Windows account 3 times now. And I never make more than one administrator account for some reason.

Now I'm just running with no password and encrypted all my secret stuff with a password written down on a piece of paper in a safe... It's a little bit of an overkill, but better safe than sorry!
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Temor wrote: I have forgotten the password to my Windows account 3 times now.
My "password hint" is my password. No one appears to be smart enough to try it :lol:
I left class with my laptop on the login screen and when I came back my friend said "What's your password? We've tried a bunch of different stuff and what the he!! is with your password hint? Makes no sense"