Ubuntu

Talk about anything in here.
Josh

Ubuntu

Post by Josh »

I was wondering, who uses Ubuntu or another Linux distro? I am currently dual booted with Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 7 and was wondering what you guys use. I know Jacek uses Ubuntu (but which version do you use Jacek? do you like Unity? personally I actually quite like it).

Just wondering, also, what text-editor/IDE you use for certain languages on your chosen OS.

For me it's Gedit for PHP and Eclipse for Java. I need Windows 7 for Photoshop etc.
EcazS

Re: Ubuntu

Post by EcazS »

I use Windows 7 with Notepad++
Josh

Post by Josh »

EcazS wrote:I use Windows 7 with Notepad++

Whenever I code on W7 I use Notepad++ aswell, or Sublime Text.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Josh wrote:but which version do you use Jacek? do you like Unity?

I recently updated to 11.10, I do use Unity. Not really sure on it yet, I prefer to just have menus than having to search for everything. I would go back to the classic desktop, but support for it has been dropped.

Josh wrote:For me it's Gedit for PHP and Eclipse for Java. I need Windows 7 for Photoshop etc.

Same here, I use 7 for gaming though. GIMP is a pretty good photoshop replacement once you get used to it's instant menu system.
Josh

Post by Josh »

jacek wrote:
Josh wrote:but which version do you use Jacek? do you like Unity?

I recently updated to 11.10, I do use Unity. Not really sure on it yet, I prefer to just have menus than having to search for everything. I would go back to the classic desktop, but support for it has been dropped.

Josh wrote:For me it's Gedit for PHP and Eclipse for Java. I need Windows 7 for Photoshop etc.

Same here, I use 7 for gaming though. GIMP is a pretty good photoshop replacement once you get used to it's instant menu system.

Yea that was my first opinion on Unity, still getting used to it but it's not terrible to be fair, 11.10 has definitely made it much more usable with speed etc.
conradk

Post by conradk »

I used Unity a few times but didn't like it. So I just switched to Xubuntu. It works just as good but with XFCE instead of Gnome :)

I like it alot.
Kamal

Post by Kamal »

Try Gnome Shell :) It is officially supported on 10.10. LOVE IT!
EDIT: I hate it.
Josh

Post by Josh »

I'm a Unity fan now haha.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Kamal wrote:Try Gnome Shell :) It is officially supported on 10.10. LOVE IT!

:lol:

Josh wrote:I'm a Unity fan now haha.

It's really starting to grow on me too. The problem I have now is that I find it harder to switch to using windows at uni and keep moving my mouse to the left to get he dock ;)
Josh

Post by Josh »

jacek wrote:
Kamal wrote:Try Gnome Shell :) It is officially supported on 10.10. LOVE IT!

:lol:

Josh wrote:I'm a Unity fan now haha.

It's really starting to grow on me too. The problem I have now is that I find it harder to switch to using windows at uni and keep moving my mouse to the left to get he dock ;)

Haha! I still have XP installed in VirtualBox for Photoshop and other things, but the only game I really play in Minecraft so that's not a problem.

But yeah, I'm glad Canonical took the Unity approach and tried to be different, it is actually really usable and I really like it. There are a few little things that need to be sorted out (like easier window minimising etc.) but I think 12.04 LTS (for 5 years!) will be an amazing release hopefully!