ASP.NET MVC 5 vs PHP

Talk about anything in here.
killfrog47

ASP.NET MVC 5 vs PHP

Post by killfrog47 »

Hello all!

So recently I have started a new job as a web developer. We do work for all kinds of different people/companies and different clients want different languages so we use what they request. Its understandable because maybe they have their own developers that want to tie in to it.

But sometimes we get clients that dont have any preferance on languages so we end up going with ASP.NET MVC 5. I for one dont like it. Just the way the files are set up and the different dependencies. As compared to PHP where you just have to have php installed.

So I ask why do people pick ASP.NET over PHP?

Maybe Im just biased because i learned PHP first =P
ScTech

Re: ASP.NET MVC 5 vs PHP

Post by ScTech »

Between the two there really isn't much difference. The only thing I noticed back when I used ASP.NET was that PHP could not do threading. Also, on larger scale projects, ASP.NET seemed to be more useful while PHP was better for performance (i.e. speed). There is no logical reason why one is better than the other. It's mainly just a personal preference.
<?php while(!$succeed = try()); ?>
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

ah I see. Idk we are currently doing two projects one PHP and one ASP.NET MVC and to be honest I dont like the MVC one haha I keep trying to get my boss to switch but he wont and soon it will be too late lol =P
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

People pick ASP because it's Microsoft. Very rarely have I seen people who know what they are talking about pick ASP over PHP, it happens sometimes but very rarely. It usually happens with people who learnt ASP before anything else.

If he likes MVC why not just use a MVC framework for PHP?

ASP is more expensive too.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

EcazS wrote:People pick ASP because it's Microsoft. Very rarely have I seen people who know what they are talking about pick ASP over PHP, it happens sometimes but very rarely. It usually happens with people who learnt ASP before anything else.

Hmm ill have to look in to the MVC framework for PHP. I think you're right about the while "Because its Microsoft" thing. People must see it as more uniform and trustworthy. Some one told me that they didnt trust PHP because it was open souce lol
wrichards8

Post by wrichards8 »

People pick ASP because it's Microsoft

I was once told that "No-one ever got fired for buying Cisco" so I guess they think that, if they go with Microsoft and it breaks, there is less chance of being fired for making a bad choice.
Temor

Post by Temor »

killfrog47 wrote:
EcazS wrote:People pick ASP because it's Microsoft. Very rarely have I seen people who know what they are talking about pick ASP over PHP, it happens sometimes but very rarely. It usually happens with people who learnt ASP before anything else.

Hmm ill have to look in to the MVC framework for PHP. I think you're right about the while "Because its Microsoft" thing. People must see it as more uniform and trustworthy. Some one told me that they didnt trust PHP because it was open souce lol

I don't trust ASP because it's not open source. I hear every day about "hidden" and "semi-hidden" back-doors built into the compiler that allows you to do things you should not be allowed to do with code that should do something completely different. Not sure if any of it is true though, since my knowledge of the stuff is limited, to say the least.

I'll always prefer PHP though. The community is so much better in every way...
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:Hmm ill have to look in to the MVC framework for PHP. I think you're right about the while "Because its Microsoft" thing. People must see it as more uniform and trustworthy. Some one told me that they didnt trust PHP because it was open souce lol

I don't trust ASP because it's not open source. I hear every day about "hidden" and "semi-hidden" back-doors built into the compiler that allows you to do things you should not be allowed to do with code that should do something completely different. Not sure if any of it is true though, since my knowledge of the stuff is limited, to say the least.

I'll always prefer PHP though. The community is so much better in every way...[/quote]

I try to use PHP over ASP every time just because its so much easier to set up and work with. Im finding that in order to develop with ASP.NET I have to use totally different work environments. Not just work environments but entire servers to host my ASP work lol Maybe its just because im a creature of habit and I dont like change but PHP seems like a better choice hands down lol hell even servers that run ASP suck to work with =P