This is no longer viable.

Talk about anything in here.
Temor

This is no longer viable.

Post by Temor »

I cannot possibly spend my time deleting over 25.000 spam posts every week, and I don't think Helx finds this very funny either.
We need to move to another site or just cut our losses and realize that Jacek isn't coming back.

I'd love to keep helping people with PHP, but not on this forum. It's completely overridden with spam.

I know we've talked about restarting somewhere else, but that seems to be forgotten by most already, so I want this to be the last attempt at fixing this.

I am willing to set up servers, domains, and start doing video tutorials on a small scale, but not if I'm doing it alone.
If there's still interest in this, and if you guys wish to follow me to the new place, I'll set this up by the end of April at the latest, but if the interest is gone, then so am I.

I'm sorry it came down to this, but since Jacek didn't make any of us Admins, we really can't do anything against this spam, except ban users and remove posts. If only we could update the spamfilter it would solve the problem.

If you have any ideas, please post them here. And please, be honest, if your motivation is gone, please say so. The last thing I want now is to spend my time and money setting up somewhere else only to have no one follow me.

Thank you.
killfrog47

Re: This is no longer viable.

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:I cannot possibly spend my time deleting over 25.000 spam posts every week, and I don't think Helx finds this very funny either.
We need to move to another site or just cut our losses and realize that Jacek isn't coming back.

I'd love to keep helping people with PHP, but not on this forum. It's completely overridden with spam.

I know we've talked about restarting somewhere else, but that seems to be forgotten by most already, so I want this to be the last attempt at fixing this.

I am willing to set up servers, domains, and start doing video tutorials on a small scale, but not if I'm doing it alone.
If there's still interest in this, and if you guys wish to follow me to the new place, I'll set this up by the end of April at the latest, but if the interest is gone, then so am I.

I'm sorry it came down to this, but since Jacek didn't make any of us Admins, we really can't do anything against this spam, except ban users and remove posts. If only we could update the spamfilter it would solve the problem.

If you have any ideas, please post them here. And please, be honest, if your motivation is gone, please say so. The last thing I want now is to spend my time and money setting up somewhere else only to have no one follow me.

Thank you.

I am still interested. I know I was talking about making a new site though lately Iv been BROKE! lol Freelance work doesnt pay worth crap haha. Though I am 100% willing to dedicate some time into like this. I have everyones emails still so we can all get in contact if we wanna go through with this. I really would like to see things change!
Temor

Post by Temor »

I would front the money for this if you truly are interested. I'm probably not gonna do it if it's only the two of us, but if we get at least 4 or 5 people with at least moderate interest I'd be more than happy to set everything up. We'd have to agree on quite a few things first though.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I'm up for it.

Contact me on skype instead (ecaz-s) I rarely check my email.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:I would front the money for this if you truly are interested. I'm probably not gonna do it if it's only the two of us, but if we get at least 4 or 5 people with at least moderate interest I'd be more than happy to set everything up. We'd have to agree on quite a few things first though.

Yeah that makes sense we need multiple people to make this work. Let me email the other two (ScTech and Helx) and see if there willing to jump in on this. I believe you have my email right? tcorderoiv at gmail dot com
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

I emailed them both. I also was able to get a friend of mine in on this too. He has about 20 years experience coding ad he is really interested in making tutorials he just needs topics haha.
Helx

Post by Helx »

I edited your email, probably not a good idea to post uncensored emails on a site riddled with spambots :P

Yes, I am still interested in a BetterPHP 2.0.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Helx wrote:I edited your email, probably not a good idea to post uncensored emails on a site riddled with spambots :P

Yes, I am still interested in a BetterPHP 2.0.

haha thanks for that I spaced it! But sweet! So thats 4 plus the guy who wants to make tutorials so 5. If we get ScTech then that makes 6 of us haha. Also If we are going to do this we should come up with a time when we can all talk in some IRC or something. What do you guys think?
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

killfrog47 wrote:I emailed them both. I also was able to get a friend of mine in on this too. He has about 20 years experience coding ad he is really interested in making tutorials he just needs topics haha.

I did not receive that email, but I am more than willing to do this.

Edit: Nevermind. For some reason your email was sent to spam.
<?php while(!$succeed = try()); ?>
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

ScTech wrote:
killfrog47 wrote:I emailed them both. I also was able to get a friend of mine in on this too. He has about 20 years experience coding ad he is really interested in making tutorials he just needs topics haha.

I did not receive that email, but I am more than willing to do this.

Edit: Nevermind. For some reason your email was sent to spam.

haha thats odd you would think gmail wouldnt be spam so fast. Maybe it was the link to the forum post that upset your spam filter.

Anyway I found someone who might be interested in funding the hosting of the new site. In return we advertise his software company. If thats something you all are interested in I can talk to him some more?
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

What is his software company?
Temor

Post by Temor »

The problem with sponsors is that they can pull the plug at any moment without prior warning. I do not want to rely on sponsors, but I would not mind a sponsor helping out. It depends on what company it is I guess. If it's all legit then I'd be happy to take his money, but if it's shady in any way I want to stay far away.

What we need to agree on first of all is our name. Should we stick with BetterPHP and risk pissing of Jacek for stealing his name, or should we come up with something new?
Also, should we use a YouTube channel and make new video tutorials, or use another means of publication?

We could keep all our correspondence here in this thread or we could move to an IRC or Skype or something, but I'd prefer having everything documented right here so we have everything saved for future reference.

I honestly wasn't expecting you guys to be this enthusiastic. It gives me new energy to pursue this :)

I will start setting up server space right away so we can start as soon as we agree on a name.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Temor wrote:What we need to agree on first of all is our name. Should we stick with BetterPHP and risk pissing of Jacek for stealing his name, or should we come up with something new?
Also, should we use a YouTube channel and make new video tutorials, or use another means of publication?

It would probably be better to think of a new name. It's best to be without those ties that could cause issues later. YouTube would be the best option to get the site recognized. A lot of people search for tutorials on there. It would not only expand the audience, it would also get the site more attention.

Temor wrote:We could keep all our correspondence here in this thread or we could move to an IRC or Skype or something, but I'd prefer having everything documented right here so we have everything saved for future reference.

Problem with that is we still aren't sure that jacek will continue paying for this. The site could go down at any time.
Temor

Post by Temor »

ScTech wrote:It would probably be better to think of a new name. It's best to be without those ties that could cause issues later. YouTube would be the best option to get the site recognized. A lot of people search for tutorials on there. It would not only expand the audience, it would also get the site more attention.

I completely agree with you. The name needs to change, but to what?

YouTube is the only real place for us to gain recognition apart from roaming every other IT forum on the web and advertise ourselves, but it requires that at least one of us has the time, patience and the equipment to make quality tutorials. I could do a tutorial once in a while but I'm not able to make it a regular thing. Maybe one or two tutorial series per month max.

ScTech wrote:Problem with that is we still aren't sure that jacek will continue paying for this. The site could go down at any time.

You're right. So what other means of communication should we be using? I'm all for either Skype or a private IRC channel.

If anyone has time to set up an IRC channel for this purpose that would be much appreciated... I'm fully booked this weekend so I won't have much spare time over for things like this, but I will resume operations again on Monday evening or Tuesday morning, so if we have an IRC by then that would be awesome.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I think Skype would be better than an IRC, just set up a group conversation.
We can use Google Docs or something like that if we want "archive" something.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Temor wrote:I completely agree with you. The name needs to change, but to what?

I'm not sure. I've never really been the creative type with names.

Temor wrote:YouTube is the only real place for us to gain recognition apart from roaming every other IT forum on the web and advertise ourselves, but it requires that at least one of us has the time, patience and the equipment to make quality tutorials. I could do a tutorial once in a while but I'm not able to make it a regular thing. Maybe one or two tutorial series per month max.

I would be able to code (I do not have a mic) some tutorials with knowledge of the subject beforehand such as which style we use. For example, jacek uses the outdated mysql style in most of his tutorials.

Temor wrote:You're right. So what other means of communication should we be using? I'm all for either Skype or a private IRC channel.

I've never used either before :P I suppose either would be fine. As for setting up an IRC channel, I'm not sure whether there's a program or preferred site to use.
Temor

Post by Temor »

I need to get some serious sleep before I can make any decisions, but for now Skype seems to be the most agreed upon option.
PM me your Skype handles and I'll add you to a group conversation eventually.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

We can all use skype that would be the best and fastest =) Im not 100% sure how to set up an IRC. And yeah google docs would be best for documenting things.

EcazS wrote:What is his software company?

It is called BDGSoftware (im working on the websites right now).

Temor wrote:The problem with sponsors is that they can pull the plug at any moment without prior warning. I do not want to rely on sponsors, but I would not mind a sponsor helping out. It depends on what company it is I guess. If it's all legit then I'd be happy to take his money, but if it's shady in any way I want to stay far away.

Iv been working with him for some time now. Though I saw what we should do is get things started and if things are working out and he is still interested then we could talk more about letting him fund it. =)
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Do I not know how to use Skype, or have you not added anyone yet?