HTML textarea

Need help with something HTML related, this is the place to ask.
bowersbros

HTML textarea

Post by bowersbros »

My question is, how do i get text to display in textarea from the bottom upwards? (Im making it into a sort of chat area, and so I would like the text to go from the bottom up). Also, how do i go about autoscroll down? Thanks.
I don't like to brag, but I wasn't circumcised. I was circumnavigated. ;)

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
jacek
Site Admin

Re: HTML textarea

Post by jacek »

do you really want to display the messages in a textarea ? surly a textarea would only be for the message entry and a div for the actual chat ?

But. to have it scroll down

[syntax=javascript]textarea.scrollTop = textarea.scrollHeight;[/syntax]
is something I have used before, so just have that happen after the check for new messages.

And on the text at the bottom thing, all I can think of is to pack it with linebreaks to start with, then the auto scrolling and addition of text will look like text is being added at the bottom.
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

In addition to this (didnt edit, since i saw Jacekk was viewing, so he might not notice the edit)

I also want to have it so that Within the textarea, if the message is multiple lines long, that it is restricted to a certain area,

Eg

Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (12.95 KiB) Viewed 4584 times

/edit I should point out. When i say textarea, i dont mean the <textarea> tag, i mean an area where text is displayed :P

Should of phrased it better probably.
Last edited by bowersbros on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

jacek wrote:do you really want to display the messages in a textarea ? surly a textarea would only be for the message entry and a div for the actual chat ?

But. to have it scroll down

[syntax=javascript]textarea.scrollTop = textarea.scrollHeight;[/syntax]
is something I have used before, so just have that happen after the check for new messages.

And on the text at the bottom thing, all I can think of is to pack it with linebreaks to start with, then the auto scrolling and addition of text will look like text is being added at the bottom.

WEll,
[syntax=xhtml]
<div id="chat">
<span class="normal">Username01:</span><p class="body">This is the message stored for username01.</p>
<span class="mod">Username02:</span><p class="body">This is the message stored for username02.</p>
<span class="normal">Username01:</span><p class="body">This is the message stored for username01. This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.This is the message stored for username01.</p>
<span class="admin">Username03:</span><!-- class shout makes bold. admin only! --> <p class="body">This is the message stored for username03.</p>
<form method="post" action="">
<input type="text" name="chat_message" id="chat_msg" />
<input type="submit" name="send" value="Send" />
</form>
</div><!-- div#chat -->
[/syntax]

It is within a div, but im using the textarea for holding the messages. If thats what you meant? :)

jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Ah okay, I thought you were actually using a textarea tag ;)

If you do

[syntax=xhtml]<div id="chat_area">
<div class="chat_message">
<div class="chat_name">Username</div>
<div class="chat_body">the long messages goes here</div>
</div>
<div class="chat_message">
<div class="chat_name">Other username</div>
<div class="chat_body">Your message was too long.</div>
</div>
</div>[/syntax]
Then if you

[syntax=css]div.chat_messages, div.chat_name, div.chat_body {
float: left;
overflow: auto;
}[/syntax]
it should look like what you want. The overflow is to make the dive expand around the floated inner divs. All completly untested of course :)

EDIT:

[syntax=css]div.chat_messages {
clear: both;
}[/syntax]
may also be needed.
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

I still cant get it to do from bottom to top, any ideas? I think that may only work for textarea tags?

/edit I mean for the autoscroll*

jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

bowersbros wrote: I think that may only work for textarea tags?

the way I said with padding in new lines would only work for textarea, the equivalent in this case would be giving the first message a large margin-top.

bowersbros wrote:/edit I mean for the autoscroll*

?? huh ??
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

jacek wrote:
bowersbros wrote: I think that may only work for textarea tags?

the way I said with padding in new lines would only work for textarea, the equivalent in this case would be giving the first message a large margin-top.

bowersbros wrote:/edit I mean for the autoscroll*

?? huh ??

I cant get it to scroll to the bottom of the text by default, like. so the most recent message is shown

jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

what did you try ?
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

[syntax=javascript]var obj = getElementById('chat');
obj.scrollTop = obj.scrollHeight;[/syntax]

Something along those lines, where 'chat' is the box where all the 'chat_messages' are contained

jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Okay, and what error did that give ?
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

It didnt give an error, it just didnt scroll the area to the bottom. It kept it at the top, as though the JS wasnt placed.

jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I mean what error does firebug (or similar) give you ?