Links

Got a suggestion for the forum (or website) ? Here is the place to share it.
wignall6

Links

Post by wignall6 »

I think links should have target="_blank" added to them. Whenever I click a link it opens in the same window and it takes me from the betterphp website. This might drive people away from the website and never return.
jacek
Site Admin

Re: Links

Post by jacek »

Learn to use your middle mouse button ;)

I think we will have to have a vote on this, I personally prefer websites not to keep opening tabs.
Tino

Post by Tino »

Or if you're on a laptop, two fingers instead of one ;)
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:Learn to use your middle mouse button ;)

And if you're using a mouse from 1991 that doesn't have a mouse wheel just hold down Ctrl.
ta2shop

Post by ta2shop »

:shock: i had no ideea about the mouse wheel, or to hold down ctrol!!!! :?
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

ta2shop wrote::shock: i had no ideea about the mouse wheel, or to hold down ctrol!!!! :?

The forum is all about learning new things, also games, I like games. :lol:
ta2shop

Post by ta2shop »

i like games to but my "new" PC has somting againts games .... every time i tri to play somthing it shuts down :lol:
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Bit of a problem with this, it seems you have to modify the bbcode manually to make it happen http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/

Which is a bit of a pain, also it seems to suggest that it will break old links in some way this being something I want to avoid in the interest of eventually porting all posts over to my forum (i need to be able to get the bbcode used to generate every post correctly)

Bottom line, despite the appearance of democracy, this is actually a dictatorship and I am saying no :lol:
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I've always wanted to live in a dictatorship :mrgreen:

I also suggest not opening in new tabs / windows (not that it matters what I think anyways), but it generally looks cheap on the site. As if they have to try and force you to staying on the site; a _BLANK target is rarely used well, and should generally be avoided at all costs.

People can middle click, CTL (CMD) + Click, or right click and select in a new tab if they are truly wanting to stay on site.
pasqo83

Post by pasqo83 »

I personally don't like clicking on a link and it takes me to outside of the website that I origanlly was going onto over the existing site I was looking at. I like the target="new_blank" method. Although any link I click I always use the open new tab.

From my own point of view, the modern user will simply click the link and thats it and once they have gone outside of your website then they might think they can't be bothered to come back and you might just lose that person from visiting your site (especially if they have only seen the first page of your site).

Of course, if your in one of these sort of website, probably me being naive but I thought 9 out of 10 people would click a link to open a new tab anyway.

:D
  • Empty your mind, be formless like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.