Kickstarting the activity here.

Talk about anything in here.
EcazS

Re: Kickstarting the activity here.

Post by EcazS »

Ok! We need to do something!

If we're not doing tutorials maybe we could do a community project. I know... it would probably most likely be me, Temor and Helx but at least we'd have something to do.

People try to start community projects all the time without anything actually happening (phpacademy) but if we can think of a decent idea I'm sure we could pull it off. I have a lot of free time nowadays so I could easily put in some effort.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Honestly I'm not sure why jacek kept using mysql, especially since deprecation. But perhaps remaking the tutorials into mysqli would be a good start. What do you mean by community project?
<?php while(!$succeed = try()); ?>
Temor

Post by Temor »

I am willing to do this, just not at this very moment.
I could literally not be more busy these coming weeks / months. I'll be having free time again in November.

If there is a community project I could probably help though. I'll be writing code all day anyway, so I might as well have something on the side to keep my brain fresh.
Fidbeck

Post by Fidbeck »

hey people what's up? long time no see lol

yeah betterphp seems pretty dead now and in my opinion it's a shame. i'm no good with coding but i can give some ideas :)

one is to create a kind of a twitter clone using OOP/PDO
the second is to create a footer like this one http://elementaryos.org/
another is to create a password checker using jQuery. like this one https://service.mail.com/;jsessionid=39 ... account1-1 just try to write a pass to see what i'm talking about.
the last one is to do sth like this http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/accessories/ when you scroll down the images only appear when you have that part visible otherwise they "don't" load.

btw last time i spoke with Jacek he couldn't write tutorials 'cause he was preparing his finals. yeah it was some time ago
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Pretty sure that footer is just css. I could be wrong. The link to the password thing is invaid.
Fidbeck

Post by Fidbeck »

The link for the pass things is this http://www.mail.com/int/ but you have to go to " Get your free email account" and you'll have to select the password field to see what i'm talking about.

Yeah I know the footer is only CSS but at least it's something new.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

I can't tell because I'm on a tablet and my view source app keeps crashing when trying to open the page...but it looks like JQuery showing a hidden div.
[syntax=javascript]$("#password_field").onclick(function() {
$("#password_hint_div").animate(); // or show(); with slidein or something
});[/syntax]

We could start compiling a bunch of php tutorials and each take a few or something. Having something be pure JavaScript or CSS contradicts the BetterPHP site name. EDIT: Just saw all the pure Java tutorials so... we could start doing tutorials in other languages I guess, but it has to be more than just a few lines :) I'll look around for stuff later.
Temor

Post by Temor »

I am already using a similar approach in one of my current projects ( the password form field ). I could probably re-write it to be a standalone thing and publish the code here.

Most of the stuff you suggested comes with most front-end frameworks / devpacks. Most noticeably Bootstrap.

I am working on a few things currently that I do think some people would find interesting and / or useful. The problem is that I've written them as is inside my (fairly) enormous projects.
When I'm done I'll chop it up into useful little pieces and post them here.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Temor wrote:I am working on a few things currently that I do think some people would find interesting and / or useful. The problem is that I've written them as is inside my (fairly) enormous projects.
When I'm done I'll chop it up into useful little pieces and post them here.

Looking forward to that.
I wonder where Jacek is but the domain is still being paid for... so that's good... right?
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

He was on 11 days ago. If only he would just post something :(
Temor

Post by Temor »

He's on here occasionally. I've sent him emails and private message to no avail.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Jacek is alive :o He fixed the search.
Temor

Post by Temor »

I don't think so. It comes and goes. It worked the other day and then some time today it did not. Now it seems like it's working again :P

/Edit; Nope... Doesn't work now.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

I would hate to have this site die down! I would love to be part of kickstarting this site again =) I didnt read the whole thread (too long) lol but I saw something about tutorials and Minecraft. Well I would love to make some tutorials for different things to connect minecraft servers and websites. Maybe some java tutorials? lol I havent played with bukkit api yet but I would like to have a reason to do it!

Also everyone on here is really nice and helpful as well as smart! So losing a place where people could feel safe asking simple questions would be a HUGE loss. For me this site has really jump started my career in web development (I now have a job doing PHP and ASP.NET MVC coding) =) So I would like to help in anyway I can! Does anyone have access to the main website pages or have anyway or contacting Jacek about the pages? Because it would be nice to see them change a little. Maybe be more inviting lol.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

The site is definitely being paid for. That's a good sign in a way.

We could always mess with the site and create a 500 error to see his email :roll: idk if he or any visitor would like it too much though.

Just read through the rest of the posts and saw the popularity of Temor's minecraft thread. Minecraft pocket edition 0.8.0 is coming out soon and introduces a ton of new stuff. Perhaps we could make a huge group mod or something. We could also do the same for minecraft pc version. Everyone here that's active knows Java I believe. But pocket edition can only use JavaScript as far as I know.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

ScTech wrote:The site is definitely being paid for. That's a good sign in a way.

We could always mess with the site and create a 500 error to see his email :roll: idk if he or any visitor would like it too much though.

lol now now lets not go hacking Jaceks things =P

ScTech wrote:Just read through the rest of the posts and saw the popularity of Temor's minecraft thread. Minecraft pocket edition 0.8.0 is coming out soon and introduces a ton of new stuff. Perhaps we could make a huge group mod or something. We could also do the same for minecraft pc version. Everyone here that's active knows Java I believe. But pocket edition can only use JavaScript as far as I know.

I just read the rest of them too. I didnt think you could mod Minecraft pocket edition? I would be down for modding it though! Very big market for that! (I mean free market).

Do any of the mods have the ability to create forums? Because we should add more languages. Like java and C++ (the two I know) and maybe even a thread with minecraft mods. I know bukkit takes care of this but it would be nice to have a place where people can come to get support from the community behind the plugin.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

You can create mods in JavaScript and upload them with PocketTool? It's something that begins with pocket :) You just compress them in a zip file I believe. It's been a while since I played pocket edition since there really aren't a lot of features yet. Minecarts are coming in 0.8.0 though.

I'm not sure if jacek gave them permission to. Most open source forums only allow admins to, although I've never used PHPBB. Java and anything C related would be a good thing. Although I think that's what the Other section is for, it would be a good implementation nonetheless. The other section can be used for playing with Linux...and breaking frameworks...
Helx

Post by Helx »

killfrog47 wrote:Do any of the mods have the ability to create forums?

No.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

ScTech wrote:You can create mods in JavaScript and upload them with PocketTool? It's something that begins with pocket :) You just compress them in a zip file I believe. It's been a while since I played pocket edition since there really aren't a lot of features yet. Minecarts are coming in 0.8.0 though.

I'm not sure if jacek gave them permission to. Most open source forums only allow admins to, although I've never used PHPBB. Java and anything C related would be a good thing. Although I think that's what the Other section is for, it would be a good implementation nonetheless. The other section can be used for playing with Linux...and breaking frameworks...

lol oh yes linux. I hate working with that OS like really really dislike it... been trying to install zend framework for some time now. But yeah the "other" section would be used for that but it would be best if we could have our own forums for the languages that way we could get people that are more specialized in the languages.

I wish jacek would just come back! Just long enough to give at least one of the mods control over the forums! lol It doesnt matter who just one of them =P And also let us know whats goin on with him haha.

OH OH One thing we could do is maybe have a giant community minecraft play together. I know we all live in different sides of the world but hey nothing says community like playing minecraft together =P Also maybe we could do live streams and kinda teach coding to people live. I mean thats a huge thing to do but its an idea =)
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Helx wrote:
killfrog47 wrote:Do any of the mods have the ability to create forums?

No.

Darn =(
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Unfortunately any VPS that supports Java is pretty hefty in price these days. If anyone is willing to, more power to them ;) Just anything except Simple Auth is all I have to say... Teaching live would be cool, there are a few sites out there that let you do that for free for up to half an hour if I'm correct. Probably not but that's okay. If it's just audio and no screen sharing then that could be absolutely free.