Website Update

Talk about anything in here.
jacek
Site Admin

Website Update

Post by jacek »

I have been thinking about the future of the site for the last few days, as it is currently nothing really fits together. Phpbb was meant to be used as a temporary thing, that was almost a year ago !

I'm pretty much thinking of a complete redesign, here are some of my fragmented ideas:
  • Some of you may remember my forum software, XHBB, we will use that instead. I'm currently working on it as part of another project and all of the features that we would need are in place.
  • New styling for the site that would better integrate the forum. In reality the rest of the site will be made as a plugin for XHBB so it should be very linked.
  • Pages should be largely the same, possibly adding a tools section for useful things like that database test data generator that I posted a while ago.
  • Improvements to the video viewing system implementing the new YouTube API and hopefully making it easy to use for once.
  • Premium items section will stay but will finally have some free stuff and better documentation for everything.
  • Scheduled competitions and an automated way of handing submissions.
  • Better organisation of the banners page.
  • Detailed and relevant profiles, since this is a web development community there should be a way for people to easily show off the sites they have made and stuff like that, not just their name and location.

I'd love to get any suggestions on any of this or anything I could add too so please let me know :D I also considered live-streaming it in some way since I have always wanted to do that for something :P
Fidbeck

Re: Website Update

Post by Fidbeck »

Change to a better thing? Always :D
Helx

Post by Helx »

jacek wrote:I also considered live-streaming it in some way since I have always wanted to do that for something :P

Noooo!!!
I'll end up missing all your streams :/
Timezones are a bother.

Also, make it look pretty. :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I would, so totally watch that livestream! :O
Fidbeck

Post by Fidbeck »

EcazS wrote:I would, so totally watch that livestream! :O

same here
Well I don't have any kind of problem with the timetable :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I'm one hour in the future (hello past-people) but one hour isn't a big deal, I've been wanting to livestream stuff myself but I only have a 1Mb upload... Don't think anyone would enjoy such a laggy stream...
Temor

Post by Temor »

It seems like you have this very much thought out already, and I'm very excited to see where this leads :)
A livestream sounds like fun, if there are means for everyone to communicate properly ( a 250 px wide chatroom is not a proper way to communicate ). One way streams are boring.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Twitter! Download Tweetdeck, it'll give you an annoying pop-up and chirp sound when someone tweets/mentions you.
Temor

Post by Temor »

Yuck. That sounds absolutely horrible.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

It's actually quite useful, without it I would never have known when someone replied to my tweets. Let's be honest, who checks their email every 20 minutes...
Temor

Post by Temor »

I do. I also have Gmail notifications on, so I get a horrible beeping sound and a popup on my pc as well as my phone and samsung tablet whenever I get an email. Which is often.
Sometimes it sounds like a concerto of email-notifications.

Having another annoying beeping sound going off every five minutes would definitely drive me nuts.

My thought for livestreaming would be to use google hangouts. They are actually pretty clever if you ask me.

/Edit, unless they still have that pesky nine people cap, of course.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Well, duh. You only need one annoying popup. I turned gmail off because YouTube keeps emailing me about uploads and what my subscribers like and I can't turn it off.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

No need to worry about timetables I'll be doing this over the course of a weekend (week if it gets any bigger than it is already) so it will be ~36 hours long. fun fun ! I'll also try and record and edit it into some sort of timelapse thing for the YouTubes if I can find enough hard drives for 36 hours of uncompressed video.

I think I will be doing the streaming using my current site instead of twitch.tv so depending on the number of watchers I should be able to provide a decent bandwidth and nice chat area. None of this is worked out yet though :P

I would love some ideas for the tools section too ! So far I have the database generator and a password generator, boring !
Temor

Post by Temor »

Well, I suck at regular expressions, so a tool that helps with that would be nice. Or a .htaccess tool. Or both?

I use these. There are probably even better tools out there, so if anyone know of them, please do share.
http://gskinner.com/RegExr/
http://www.htaccesseditor.com/en.shtml
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Yes! Stream 36 hours without sleep, let's do this!

I don't know of any tools for PHP. All I really use is the CSS3 generator site and the database thingy you posted.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

EcazS wrote:Yes! Stream 36 hours without sleep, let's do this!

48 8-)
Helx

Post by Helx »

What on earth are you going to stream for 48 hours...
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Helx wrote:What on earth are you going to stream for 48 hours...

Me typing and progressively more incoherent chatter ? Maybe it's not the best idea :P
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:
Helx wrote:What on earth are you going to stream for 48 hours...

Me typing and progressively more incoherent chatter ? Maybe it's not the best idea :P

It is the best idea! Those are the best streams!

You have no idea how nice it is to have people talk about nothing in the background while programming! It is seriously the best thing ever.