Which PHP framework...?

Any help topics that don't fit in the current categories can go here.
lakc

Which PHP framework...?

Post by lakc »

Hi ppl,

Which framework is the best, easy and quick to learn about using a PHP framework for newbies?

Quick and Easy would mean 5 weeks. Best would mean in terms of community support, supports cross-browser, ajax, jquery, REST style architecture support, autocode completion, debugging tools. Also works on XAMPP and LAMP.

Tried to build a clear picture about this by doin it myself, but rather like to hear it from the experts too.

Lak C.
Josh

Re: Which PHP framework...?

Post by Josh »

Check out laravel (www.laravel.com) - it's not traditional MVC (well, it's implementing controllers in the soon-to-be-released version 2). It's a great framework and I don't think the learning curve is very steep either.
Also, you could check out codeigniter or fuelphp - CI is a bit dated and doesn't support some stuff whereas fuelphp is quite a complex framework and is still in early development.
I can't speak for the likes of Kohana, Yii or such as I've never used them but you could always give them a go.
I believe great documentation is a major factor in whether a framework is good or not and CodeIgniter, FuelPHP and Laravel all have great docs.
You could try out CakePHP but I was never a fan of it due to its "automagic" - similar to that of Ruby on Rails.
libeco

Post by libeco »

CodeIgniter dated? Explain...
Josh

Post by Josh »

libeco wrote:CodeIgniter dated? Explain...

Autoloading, PHP5 Namespaces, PHP5 standards.
libeco

Post by libeco »

Not using the newest technology does not make a framework dated. A lot of shared hosting accounts still run 5.2 or earlier so always having your framework use the latest technology will not make it very popular.
lakc

Post by lakc »

Ok... even most ppl @ StackOverflow hv suggested CI as good platform to start learning a new framework.

Yi I learnt from most ppl @ SO was difficult to grasp at first mostly cos few community support and lack of doc'tation and few of the other upcoming lack quite a considerable easiness to learn at first.

CI has been in the market longest, is it?

Thanks anyway, cos I had already dloaded CI 2 b4 i posted this. Wanted to hear from this forum as well. But sadly only two of u hv replied. :(