Video

Any help topics that don't fit in the current categories can go here.
jonathon

Video

Post by jonathon »

I've never really used video before and with iphone/ipad etc outlaw on flash I'm just thinking of the best way to do something.

I want to build your standard site, but registered people get a new part of the website that is private where they can view some of my videos.

I was just thinking what's the best way to achieve this so that they are visible to as many registered users as possible as much as possible. I.E my user has an iphone and wants to view the videos whilst on the go, so it wouldn't make sense to use a flash pluggin as it wouldn't work on their iphone.

And, I want it so that my videos are just visible to the registered users. I did think, just put them on youtube then embed them into the registered pages, but this means that they are available on Youtube to anyone I guess?? I don't really know, i've never really done anything with Youtube either

My thinking at the moment was to maybe use HTML5 solely for the registered pages in order to play the videos. But I didnt know if that was a good plan or how difficult it is to re-encode your videos using the 3 different codecs so that they are viewable in all the major browsers.

Anybody got any ideas?
I'm a newb at video

Thanks in advance
jacek
Site Admin

Re: Video

Post by jacek »

Hmm, for browsers Flash is still the best way really. HTML5 gives an ugly player and you have to host the video in three different formats to be compatible with all browsers.

You would have to detect mobile devices and server a different page for them. I think if you redirect an iPhone to a .mp4 it will open in it's player thingy.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Thanks for your help Jacek :-)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

Or use Flash as a punishment for people using Apple stuff...