Tutorials?

Talk about anything in here.
killfrog47

Tutorials?

Post by killfrog47 »

Hello everyone =) So I think the number of people that visit this site now is down to like 4 haha me, ScTech, Temor, and Helx. I would like to see this place pick back up but I know it would take some work =/ I want to start doing some HTML5 & CSS3 tutorials pretty soon. I was wondering if anyone else wanted to start making some tutorials on other languages or subjects? We could start a new youtube channel call it "BetterPHP?v=2" if thats allowed as a name idk if it is lol but hey worth a shot =) so let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: This is meant for everyone that reads this not just the 3 I listed =P I just listed them because I always see them around =) I would welcome anyones thoughts =)
Temor

Re: Tutorials?

Post by Temor »

I've considered it on multiple occasions, but it's a whole lot of work for little to no reward. We will not get any of the ad revenue. Jacek will recieve every cent.
We also can't do any modifications to the forums, and the spambots are running rampant. If we draw more attention here it will only bring more spambots, and I do not have the time to clean spam every hour of every day, and I don't think Helx does either. And none of us has the ability to make anyone a mod.

If this "project" (if you wanna call it that) is to continue, we would have to make a few changes. Most importantly, we would need to create a new forum.

I won't give up the thought of saving this forum, but I have to say it's looking like it's dying, and there's not really that much we can do to stop it without Jacek coming back.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

To be honest I doubt that jacek will be coming back. He comes online once in a while for something, but never responds to us. The only drawback to making a new site is that jacek is still paying for this. The little traffic that he still gets that view ads and buy his scripts would stop and he would lose money.
<?php while(!$succeed = try()); ?>
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

True if we did create a new forum it would take away from this one and there for take away from Jacek. Though we also gotta think of it this way, this forum was created to help and educate people. With Jacek gone and our two remaining staff members not having any permissions there is no way of increasing the effectiveness of this site. Also as more time goes on people will want to see more tutorials on youtube. Good quality ones that is. I love what Jacek has done for the community but I feel like its time we take what we still have and continue the community. I know that .net and .org are still open for the same URL. Im on the side of giving it a shot! =) Im sure with all of us developers behind the wheel we can do something awesome. Idk if we have any way of contacting Jacek via email or anything but if we can get a hold of him maybe we can even get a domain transfer.
ScTech

Post by ScTech »

Don't get me wrong; I'm up for it. He is still around seeing as he updated a part of his personal website a few days ago but I don't think anyone has a way to contact him. If you want to, go ahead. When(if) jacek comes back just leave him a message or something.
<?php while(!$succeed = try()); ?>
Helx

Post by Helx »

He's very active on Bukkit dev.

Maybe he's taking "time off" to deal with other projects.
Temor

Post by Temor »

If he's taking "Time off" it would still be a good idea to let us know about it. Right now we're fumbling in the dark, not really knowing if he's abandoned ship completely or if he's just locked up in the captains quarters, contemplating life.

I've sent him a few emails to no avail, and I've messaged him on here too.
If he's still here I'd appreciate a sign of life, otherwise I might move on to other things. Right now there's really not much I'm doing here except clean spam. There's maybe one post a month where I can actually provide useful input and even then it's not really challenging and / or fun. That time I spend could be of more use somewhere else.

If we split the forums to a new domain and started doing our own tutorials I would totally be on board to volunteer my free time, but as it stands now I'm starting to lose interest to be honest.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:If he's taking "Time off" it would still be a good idea to let us know about it. Right now we're fumbling in the dark, not really knowing if he's abandoned ship completely or if he's just locked up in the captains quarters, contemplating life.

I've sent him a few emails to no avail, and I've messaged him on here too.
If he's still here I'd appreciate a sign of life, otherwise I might move on to other things. Right now there's really not much I'm doing here except clean spam. There's maybe one post a month where I can actually provide useful input and even then it's not really challenging and / or fun. That time I spend could be of more use somewhere else.

If we split the forums to a new domain and started doing our own tutorials I would totally be on board to volunteer my free time, but as it stands now I'm starting to lose interest to be honest.

I agree, its starting to get boring lol. I saw we move forward with plans to start doing tutorials. We'll see how much free time I have in the next few months (I have an interview Monday) =) but if you guys want PM me your emails and ill keep you informed if things are-a-go
Helx

Post by Helx »

killfrog47 wrote:I agree, its starting to get boring lol. I saw we move forward with plans to start doing tutorials. We'll see how much free time I have in the next few months (I have an interview Monday) =) but if you guys want PM me your emails and ill keep you informed if things are-a-go

Sent.

I feel like we're being a bit mean to Jacek for moving on without him, but I suppose he has been ignoring us...
I guess there's not many other options here.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Helx wrote:
killfrog47 wrote:I agree, its starting to get boring lol. I saw we move forward with plans to start doing tutorials. We'll see how much free time I have in the next few months (I have an interview Monday) =) but if you guys want PM me your emails and ill keep you informed if things are-a-go

Sent.

I feel like we're being a bit mean to Jacek for moving on without him, but I suppose he has been ignoring us...
I guess there's not many other options here.

Well I dont mean any disrespect to him at all! I just dont want this community to die. It really made a difference in my career to have a place that I could ask questions and not get rude or mean answers back (like stackoverflow) lol. If he ever does come back I would be 100% willing to get him back in and involved!
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I am totally on-board for this.
Temor

Post by Temor »

Just send me a PM on here and it'll go to my email inbox.
davestechuk

Post by davestechuk »

Sounds like a great idea folks. Sorry I haven't been around much had a few family issues I had to sort out.
Temor

Post by Temor »

davestechuk wrote:Sounds like a great idea folks. Sorry I haven't been around much had a few family issues I had to sort out.

There is nothing to be sorry for. This isn't your day job! :)
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

I've got a 10Mb upload now so I might actually be able to upload something on YouTube...
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Sweet! Glad to have more people interested =) Just pm me your email and ill get you on the list of people to keep informed =) and Temor ill PM you =)