Post your tutorial code

Got a suggestion for the forum (or website) ? Here is the place to share it.
martijn1

Post your tutorial code

Post by martijn1 »

Hi

I really like your tutorials, but maybe it would be a nice addition to add a section here where the members/users could have a quick look over the code again, from your tutorials.

I hope you could add this.

Thanks in advance

Martijn1
Temor

Re: Post your tutorial code

Post by Temor »

I think this isn't necessary, you can always check your code during the tutorials to see if they function correctly. And having the code posted would just make people come here to copy-paste and not actually type the code themselves.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

I deliberately left this out as I don't want to have people just copy it.

I guess I could post some of the more useful code in the Code section ?
martijn1

Post by martijn1 »

jacek wrote:I deliberately left this out as I don't want to have people just copy it.

Yea, because I still don't get the pagination(bad sound), so that's why it would be handy just to look over the code how it goes.

Thanks
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

What don't you get about it ?

Maybe post in the tutorial help section ;)

The problem with posting the code is that people will just copy it into their editor to fix any problems, by doing that and not solving the problem there is less learning.
martijn1

Post by martijn1 »

jacek wrote:What don't you get about it ?

Maybe post in the tutorial help section ;)

The problem with posting the code is that people will just copy it into their editor to fix any problems, by doing that and not solving the problem there is less learning.

Yea ok, I will watch the tutorial again, but it sometimes is a pain to listen there is some kinda weird noise on the background of the [1] vid

Thanks
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

martijn1 wrote:there is some kinda weird noise on the background of the [1] vid

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56 ;)

you don't have to watch it again, post the problem you are having and we will try to help out :D
martijn1

Post by martijn1 »

jacek wrote:
martijn1 wrote:there is some kinda weird noise on the background of the [1] vid

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56 ;)

you don't have to watch it again, post the problem you are having and we will try to help out :D

But still I think it would be better to post the code, because after the tutorial, I want to check the code again the day after it, once I did this I will remember it forever :D

So I hope this could be done, there isn't any intention to copy paste it, I rather make my own.

Thanks for your great tutorials.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

martijn1 wrote:But still I think it would be better to post the code, because after the tutorial, I want to check the code again the day after it, once I did this I will remember it forever :D

If it works, they it is the same ;)

martijn1 wrote:So I hope this could be done, there isn't any intention to copy paste it, I rather make my own.

you may not, but others might.

If you have any problems, they can be posted in the forum and I will try to help. But I will not be providing any of the tutorial code.

you should try to understand why I wrote the code the way I do rather than just trying to commit it to memory.
nyo

Post by nyo »

martijn1 wrote:Hi

I really like your tutorials, but maybe it would be a nice addition to add a section here where the members/users could have a quick look over the code again, from your tutorials.

I hope you could add this.

Thanks in advance

Martijn1

Martijn1, I can understand that, although all the code is in the video, sometimes my code doesn't work even if I think it is the same as the tutorial code. This is where this forum comes in handy and I got a lot of help about the points where I got stuck while following the tutorials.

Even if nobody has the intention to copy & paste, it is better to fail while trying to write your own code than succeed while copy & pasting ready-made code.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

nailyener wrote:Martijn1, I can understand that, although all the code is in the video, sometimes my code doesn't work even if I think it is the same as the tutorial code. This is where this forum comes in handy and I got a lot of help about the points where I got stuck while following the tutorials.

Exactly, and when you post in the forum you get an explanation of what was wrong, not just changing something and not knowing why ;)
pasqo83

Post by pasqo83 »

jacek wrote:Exactly, and when you post in the forum you get an explanation of what was wrong, not just changing something and not knowing why ;)

I can vouch for that to, I've always copied php coding but never understood it, now I am doing tutorials I am learning and Im making mistakes and have posted it on here and Jacek has been a real massive help and so has the team on here as well. I would love to just see code upon code on this site but I know I would never learn if I knew there was an easy way out like that (even though its not my intention), stick with the tutorial and you will get through this. :D
  • Empty your mind, be formless like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
bowersbros

Post by bowersbros »

A way to fix this could be to have the sourcecode as printscreens so that it isn't copiable, so that they still have to look at the code and write it?

So that you dont have to find that quick second in the tutorial where you showed up your code relating to the line they are stuck on, but instead can look at the source code image, compare and fix?

If you dont have the time to do it, i can do it all. But you'd need to like.. open a section or tell me where to post it all?
I don't like to brag, but I wasn't circumcised. I was circumnavigated. ;)

Want to learn something new? Or maybe reinforce what you already know? Or just help out? Please subscribe to my videos: http://goo.gl/58pN9
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Problems should be posted in the forum, no code will be posted.
Tino

Post by Tino »

A way to fix this could be to have the sourcecode as printscreens so that it isn't copiable, so that they still have to look at the code and write it?

That still wouldn't give people an explanation as to why what they did was wrong. They're still essentially copying the code. They just can't copy it directly. The point of those videos and these forums is to get help and proper explanations on why things work the way they do. Just copying code, either by copy/paste or just looking at the code and writing it, just doesn't teach you a whole lot.
Please check out my CodeCanyon items.
ashwood

Post by ashwood »

jacek wrote:I deliberately left this out as I don't want to have people just copy it.

A better idea would just but sample code.. or maybe all the code just in a order where it WONT work unless you watch the tutorials and work it out? Help the user to learn how to place things for them to work aswell as reading over the code and viewing what does what.. it's a long shot but its a idea.
I would put a signature.. BUT, i don't have the time.
pasqo83

Post by pasqo83 »

If we keep it simple, the idea behind tutorials is to learn from it, so if you need the whole code written out, the chances are your not learning it.

Stick with the video tutorial and forum troubleshoot as the tutorial one works so the error is in the user error and not the actual tutorial. :)
  • Empty your mind, be formless like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

jacek wrote:Problems should be posted in the forum, no code will be posted.

you can ask all you like ;)
pasqo83

Post by pasqo83 »

Im going to have trouble combining the mailing list tutorial and the HTML email together :( Any chance you can help on this once I writ out the code for this?

Im not sure how to edit so I can put the HTML one in there, I have an idea of where it goes but not 100%. :(
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

pasqo83 wrote:Im going to have trouble combining the mailing list tutorial and the HTML email together :( Any chance you can help on this once I writ out the code for this?

Im not sure how to edit so I can put the HTML one in there, I have an idea of where it goes but not 100%. :(

This should be posted in the help section.

Have a go, then post if you have any problems.
pasqo83

Post by pasqo83 »

jacek wrote:This should be posted in the help section.

Sorry Jacek, :cry: I didnt want to create a new thread just yet and we was talking about tutorial code but thought i'd mention it because it was relevent as I was talking about ur tutorial... and coding.. :cry: