jacek

Talk about anything in here.
Djmann1013

jacek

Post by Djmann1013 »

Is he ok? He hasn't signed onto the site since last year and he hasn't posted anything on Youtube.

If he has a job as a programmer or something I am really happy for him. But I have been wondering if he is alright.

I loved his videos, they helped me learn PHP. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to succeed in learning the language.
PHP addict.
jacek
Site Admin

Re: jacek

Post by jacek »

I'm okay!

I basically had no time for anything fun for the last few years.

Normal service will (attempt) to resume once the forum has been tidied up :)
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

The spam accounts have now been cleared up with the help of some clever SQL.

Ban all users that made a post today
INSERT INTO `phpbb_banlist` (`ban_userid`, `ban_start`, `ban_reason`, `ban_give_reason`)
SELECT `user_id`, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), 'Spambot', 'Spambot' FROM `phpbb_users` WHERE `user_id` IN (SELECT DISTINCT `poster_id` FROM `phpbb_posts` WHERE `post_time` >= 1422576000);
Ban all users that made a topic with less that 20 views and with a user ID above 3000
INSERT INTO `phpbb_banlist` (`ban_userid`, `ban_start`, `ban_reason`, `ban_give_reason`)
SELECT `topic_poster`, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), 'Spambot', 'Spambot' FROM `phpbb_topics` WHERE `topic_views` < 20 AND `topic_poster` > 3000 GROUP BY `topic_poster`
Ban all users that have made a topic and added more than one post to it with an ID over 3000
SELECT `topic_poster`, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), 'Spambot', 'Spambot' FROM `phpbb_topics` WHERE `topic_replies` > 0 AND `topic_poster` = `topic_last_poster_id` AND `topic_poster` > 3000 GROUP BY `topic_poster`
Add a manual list of users to the ban list
SELECT `user_id`, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), 'Spambot', 'Spambot' FROM `phpbb_users` WHERE `username` IN ('onthwguhv', /* snip */, 'eorhonkas');
Delete all posts made by banned users
DELETE FROM `phpbb_posts` WHERE `poster_id` IN (SELECT `ban_userid` FROM `phpbb_banlist` WHERE `ban_userid` != 0);
Delete all topics with no posts
DELETE FROM `phpbb_topics` WHERE `topic_id` NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT `topic_id` FROM `phpbb_posts`);
Reset all post counts of banned users to 0
UPDATE `phpbb_users` SET `user_posts` = 0 WHERE `user_id` IN (SELECT `ban_userid` FROM `phpbb_banlist` WHERE `ban_userid` != 0);
Finally pruned all users with 0 posts via the admin control panel.

Recaptcha has been enabled for registration now which should help with the bot registrations, I'll keep an eye on it and switch to admin approval if we have to.

I'm hoping to get back into being a regular forum user here again and will be sending out an email to those who may be interested in returning in the next few days.

Finally I would like to say an massive thank you to Temor who battled the bots for a long time keeping this place tidy. I'm also very sorry for neglecting the place for so long. I have some new ideas and a nice new mic though so perhaps some new content will make up for it :P
Temor

Post by Temor »

I'm very excited to see you back here! I was worried something had happened to you after multiple failed attempts at trying to contact you.

I would be more than happy to come back to being active here now that the bot issue has been resolved. That really was the big thing that kept me from coming back here. I simply could not find the relevant posts anymore.

If you've got some plans or ideas you wanna share, or if you need help with anything, let me know.

Also, I'm very glad to see you're still alive! :)
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

I haven't done as much coding in recent years—other life pursuits getting the best of me—so I admittedly hadn't given this forum much thought. Then I just got that email, and felt an odd wave of nostalgia.

Glad to see people doing well, and I'd love to see this place active again.
Have a good day/evening (or whichever term is applicable), everyone! :D
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

So that mass mail thing did actually send then :) You would not believe the state of my inbox now from all the bounce back messages :P

The was the same thing that kept me away too to be honest, for some reason I never really thought of cleaning up the mess from the database backend.

I'll hopefully get back in to a regular schedule for videos soon I'm planning on doing one a week and not splitting them up in to parts anymore. Also I feel like doing a bit of a focus on JavaScript for a while since I've picked up some cool tricks since I got a job :P

Don't feel any obligation to stay anyway, I just wanted to let people know in case they felt like it :)
Temor

Post by Temor »

I've really missed this place. I liked having a place to refresh my brain from a long day doing stuff.
Looking at someone elses code for a bit really resets the mind I feel.

It's also pretty rewarding knowing that you've helped someone learn. Some of the guys here ( me included ) started from scratch with your tutorials and are now making money from the skills we learned here, and the progress is clearly visible in users post-history, so that's cool.

I think your YouTube tutorials were top-notch and really made me think about PHP and programming in general in a way I hadn't previously.

I thought this forum was genuinely good fun, and I hope it can be again.
Helx

Post by Helx »

So glad I found this place (lol 3 years ago now).
I probably wouldn't be into PHP/ohgodsomanylanguages if I hadn't watched your videos :ugeek:
wignall6

Post by wignall6 »

Really glad you're back. I loved your tutorials. I would love to see some JavaScript tutorials.
leverkusen

Post by leverkusen »

really good job you did there. :D
JelvinJS7

Post by JelvinJS7 »

It's like a big, family reunion. Except without the cliché fighting.
Temor

Post by Temor »

JelvinJS7 wrote:It's like a big, family reunion. Except without the cliché fighting.
And the alcohol... Thankfully :P
KnightMaire

Post by KnightMaire »

Yeah it's definitely weird in some ways. Jelvin, your name rings a bell so I must remember you from them ages ago. I stopped using PHP Academy after he went through his website change (which I horribly disliked enough to just stop using it). Moved here when wide_load had advertised on PHPAcademy he was making his own site, didn't really stick around since I already had a history with PHPAcademy. Stopped using PHPA when they changed their design. Whenever I had the inclination to return to this site, all I'd see is spam so eventually I just totally forgot about this site :oops:

100% on how the mass-email brought on some nostalgia.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

WOOOO! Iv missed this community! Glad to see it coming back!
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Also since the last time this place was active I have gotten a job doing web development (more front-end and much less PHP) but I feel like I can be of more assistance to users asking questions now days =)
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

killfrog47 wrote:Also since the last time this place was active I have gotten a job doing web development (more front-end and much less PHP) but I feel like I can be of more assistance to users asking questions now days =)
That's good news :) What sort of place are you working for? I make payroll and HR software now :P
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

jacek wrote: That's good news :) What sort of place are you working for? I make payroll and HR software now :P
I work for a PR agency with clients like the city of Las Vegas and Boeing. In fact my proudest moment was the launch of boeing.com!
Temor

Post by Temor »

I'll be damned. I did not know Boeing had a clothing-line.

It's fun to see that people are getting some jobs.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:I'll be damned. I did not know Boeing had a clothing-line.

haha i dont think they do. I do site maintenance for their commercial side. So for the 787, 747 and pretty much all the 700 series planes. We also redesigned and built the entire boeing.com which was a TON of work but so fun!
Temor

Post by Temor »

killfrog47 wrote:

haha i dont think they do. I do site maintenance for their commercial side. So for the 787, 747 and pretty much all the 700 series planes. We also redesigned and built the entire boeing.com which was a TON of work but so fun!
they've got a webshop filled with clothes at least :P

pretty cool site. looks good.
killfrog47

Post by killfrog47 »

Temor wrote:
killfrog47 wrote:

they've got a webshop filled with clothes at least :P

pretty cool site. looks good.
ah yeah haha we dont do anything with that =P Thanks though! We have some great designers here!