Sending form data from one server to another

Ask about a PHP problem here.
killfrog47

Sending form data from one server to another

Post by killfrog47 »

I have a class project. Its not really REQUIRED but it would help my other class members understand how forms work. Its a HTML & CSS class. I only took the class to get the prerequs out of the way for better classes.

Now for this class my school doesnt allow the students to have access to ANY php so my classmates cant make their own contact form. Atleast not one that will work.

So my question is, is it possible for me to create the "mail.php" script on my server and have them send it FROM the school server TO my web server. Then from my web server it will handle the data and send the email. I know this is a possible security hole but the people in this class arent very computer savy anyway. So would I do this via a post or get? Or do I have to use something alittle more involved?
Helx

Re: Sending form data from one server to another

Post by Helx »

I should start by saying that it's a good idea that the school doesn't allow PHP on their network (at least, that class).

I would have just used putty to interact with my server, making files and editing them on the actual server and then viewing it on the web because it's much easier to use, I don't have to set anything up.

If you don't have hosting that gives you console control (i.e: not a VPS), then you should be able to use FTP or SCP.
Use a program such as KomodoEdit to update the files, though most programs made for web editing usually have some kind of FTP system (like Adobe DreamWeaver).

If you're on school computers that don't allow you to install anything (and they don't already have something like above), then you may have to use a web-based FTP client (VERY risky) like net2ftp, or just use your hosts online file manager (assuming you're on a hosting service with cPanel, most are [even 000webhost has it]).
killfrog47

Re: Sending form data from one server to another

Post by killfrog47 »

What I ended up doing was just using the URL of the script as the action of the form. I even made a nice little tutorial for my fellow classmates =) http://web.gccaz.edu/~tom2126583/inclas ... index2.htm

Excuse the incompleteness of the page lol its for my class so I dont work on it at all lol