"Upgraded" my router, DD-WRT

Talk about anything in here.
EcazS

"Upgraded" my router, DD-WRT

Post by EcazS »

So, yesterday I moved to my new apartment and there is no internet in here "by default" so I get internet by the people just above me. They bought some cable modem or some shit so I pay them so I can use it. It's supposed to be 36 up and down.

Anyways, I don't have a wireless card and since I can't run a cable out their door, down the stairs and in through my door nor can I drill a hole in the floor and pull a cable through my roof. So what I had to install DD-WRT on my wireless router which allows it to act as a wireless bridge, saving me the money of buying a wireless card.

And I just finished configuring DD-WRT after installing it and I had to find out the DNS for the modem up above because I have to set a static IP for my own wireless router and DD-WRT needs the DNS, "original" IP and Gateway to connect to the Internet, so I connected to the modem with my phone and then tethered it with a USB cable allowing me to do ipconfig /all. I thought that was a brilliant idea.

So when I plugged in my LAN cable that goes to my wireless router I entered 192.168.1.1 to enter the router only to see the welcoming screen of the modem. It turns out it doesn't need the DNS, Gateway and IP to connect to the Internet like it said in the install instructions and since I never saved those settings (including my own static IP) it turns out I can NEVER access my wireless router again, on this network at least. Because the default IP is 192.168.1.1 but that is taken by the modem.

And I wasn't even done configuring a password for my own router :(
jacek
Site Admin

Re: "Upgraded" my router, DD-WRT

Post by jacek »

Disconnect the modem and plug a cable into the router ? Then 192.168.1.1 should get your the right page since the other device won't be accessible.

I've used DD-WRT before, it is really very awesome !
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:Disconnect the modem and plug a cable into the router ? Then 192.168.1.1 should get your the right page since the other device won't be accessible.

Didn't feel like knocking on the door of the (creepy) dude who lives upstairs in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure how reliable DD-WRTs wiki is though. It said that the way to reset the DD-WRT settings on my router was to unplug the power, hold down the reset button for a few seconds and then plug the power in again. But that didn't work, it also said that a 30-30-30 reset would not remove the DD-WRT firmware but I tried it and it did in fact remove the firmware. So I solved it by just "re-installing" it.

(confused)
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

You were probably meant to do it with the power plugged in ;) The reset button is just a button, how would it work if there was no power :?
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

jacek wrote:You were probably meant to do it with the power plugged in ;) The reset button is just a button, how would it work if there was no power :?

I tried with power first, which didn't do anything either.

On the wiki it says when you hold down the reset button and plug in the power the boot agent or boot manager thingy is in charge and can "fully" clear the NVRAM or something like that. Either way, none of the two worked :P