I want to become a professional web programmer.

Talk about anything in here.
cnbsII

I want to become a professional web programmer.

Post by cnbsII »

Hello everyone!
I really want to become a professional web developer. Can anyone give me a steps of what should I learn first?
I really into computer but I just don't have too much free time to study them. My dream is to create a small SoCal network to have my friends to join to have fun.
Now I have plan to spend at lease 2 hours a day to learn how all the skill.

I have study manh tutorials online and, I will tell you how much I know about computer and please give me your truly suggestion of what should I learn first and so on.
- I know basic computer really well, example like how to build a computer .(8/10)
- I know HTML really well (9/10)
- I know CSS really well (8/10)
- for php I guess (4/10) currently still study them

Please let me know after when I fully study php, should I go to, javascript? Ajax? Jquery? C#? C++? Or something else?
There is too much web skill course out there and I'm confuse of what should I learn.

Example if I want to build a chatroom or social network site.

Thank you.
DomC

Re: I want to become a professional web programmer.

Post by DomC »

It really depends on what you want to do...

If you want to work freelance, you will need to know at least one server-side language (such as PHP or .NET) and one browser-side language (Javascript) along with HTML and CSS

However, if you want to work for a studio, it depends on what subsection you want to do. I recently did a week of work experiance with a web design studio, they had different teams doing design, front-end and back-end stuff so then it depends on what you want to do.

Good Luck!
I can't think of anything witty to put here!

Check out some of my projects on GitHub: https://github.com/DomTC
cnbsII

Post by cnbsII »

Thanks for your exp.

If anyone who else wish to share please leave comment.
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript (and all that Javascript includes).
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

You don't need JavaScript to build a good website so my advice is to get 9.5/10 on HTML, CSS and PHP before thinking about anything else :P
cnbsII

Post by cnbsII »

Thank you so much for all the EXP. I will focus on HTML, CSS and PHP from now on. Will start to learn other language before i get to know well of these 3 first.

Thank again!
Z645

Post by Z645 »

Try and Master most of HTML and CSS. Then move into Javascript and Php. Once you complete those 4, you have the option to go into something like Python, or try changing to Programming like C or C++ (Btw, those are similar to Php, so it will become easy if you can master Php first).