What to learn next...

Talk about anything in here.
sturekdrf

What to learn next...

Post by sturekdrf »

So as of right now.
I am good with HTML, CSS, and okay with PHP, enough so that i just need some more practice but I want to learn a few more things. I am thinking I should ether learn javascript or jquery though at the moment jquery seems like it would be the better thing to learn and is there anything else I should look into to help building webpages? trying to cover all the bases.
Temor

Re: What to learn next...

Post by Temor »

jQuery is nothing more than bundled Javascript functions, so to learn jQuery you need to know at least some Javascript.
If web stuff is what you're looking to do, then HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript is pretty much all you need.

There is so much stuff available that there is no way to learn everything, but having some knowledge in the aforementioned four languages will help you a lot on your quest.
sturekdrf

Post by sturekdrf »

Well I think the thing is i want to do a few more tricks like hrmm here.
http://zephyrworks.com

There is a image on the top that you can swap through that is not flash, no idea how to do something like that, or the message box system at the bottom I don't know how make colored stylized text boxes. Those more advanced things is stuff i would like to start getting into.
Temor

Post by Temor »

I'd suggest you take a look at the twitter bootstrap then. It has all these nifty features bundled into one free package with excellent documentations.
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

why not break the mould a bit and look into some desktop development ? Some GUI stuff with Java could be fun :)
sturekdrf

Post by sturekdrf »

Desktop development, don't even think I have ever heard of this at least in a context your talking about? Got some sources by chance?
jacek
Site Admin

Post by jacek »

Erm, no. I was planning on doing some basic Java GUI tutorials though so maybe those :lol:
sturekdrf

Post by sturekdrf »

Damn you your hindering my learning expiernce! I demand a time machine now! lol, regardless just started dipping into javascript and jquery, so probably good to learn those before doing that regardless of the fact. I still gota figure out how the hell that one effect is done. Guess ima have to do some web search, but looks like at least in the good its jquery sooooo should runa cross it sooner or later.
Helx

Post by Helx »

sturekdrf wrote:There is a image on the top that you can swap through that is not flash, no idea how to do something like that.

That looks like cub3r.
DomC

Post by DomC »

As Jacek suggests I would have a look at some desktop programming - maybe have a look at Java or if you want to make a game try XNA - both are nice languages although I personally prefer Java greatly despite it being much more complex (in my opinion)
I can't think of anything witty to put here!

Check out some of my projects on GitHub: https://github.com/DomTC
sturekdrf

Post by sturekdrf »

Well honestly I am aiming to get better at the things I am terrible at mainly I think for most things I really need php wise I can now do. I can code in c# but what I am personally leaning towards is making nice looking webpages as I am going to end up doing them on the side professionally along with a few other friends. They know how to do some of the other coding, but basically I am just trying to soak up as much information to create professional and dynamic web pages as possible. orignally my goal was php and javascript but that may not be enough but to be honest I don't fully know. I have a few months to improve my abilities in different areas so thats what I am spending time doing :P
EcazS

Post by EcazS »

If you only want to do web development then all you need is HTML, CSS, a *server side language and JS.

PHP
Ruby
C#
Python
etc